Can't get new chain and sprocket for my 125

Silverspring

I've got a 2004 Suzuki EN125, it's a grey import but apparently very popular in the UK. I did my research before I bought it and the general feedback is that it's the same as the GN 125.

It's done just under 10k miles but the chain is knackered and needs replaced so I put it into the local garage (a Honda garage) I got a call today saying the cannot get the parts and do I want a quote for a part ex. Now surely it's weird that they want to part ex a bike that will be worthless when the chain goes? I don't think they are lying but is it worth trying a Suzuki garage?

Has anyone else had this issue in the past? Or any idea where I might get a chain from?

Or any idea where I might get a chain from?

Ebay, or any motorcycle shop that sells parts. Chains are sold by size, pretty much anyone should be able to supply it (apart from Gap Kids and Thornton's, obviously).

Wemoto also sell chain and sprocket kits for it... Your garage sounds like a waste of time to me... They obviously dont look very hard to find parts

But waste no time in trying to sell you another bike...... :x Get your bike back and take it to a proper bike shop.... :mrgreen:

Thanks guys, was starting to think I'd bought a worthless bike! Will have a word with them 2moro and explain I managed to find the parts and I won't be paying them for not fixing my bike! :( Now to find a mechanic who has a clue

I can't do it myself for fear of breaking a nail ;) will name and shame once I've so spoke to them 2moro and explained that the chain is widely available on the internet. I did wonder what the deal was when they immediately tried for a part ex!

No reason why you can't change chain and sprockets youself mate. Buy yourself a Hayes manual, some thread lock and a cheep tourque wrench from screw fix. Save yourself some money and get to know your machine better. In difficulty terms changing chain and sprocks is "not-very-at-all". It's as simple as sliding on black ice. Make sure to make sure the rear wheel is straight when you're done.

Nervous about doing it yourself? I'd be MORE nervous about what some clueless pleb in a naff garage would do to it! Give it some thought.

800 miles ain't that far :P I spoke to Suzuki this morning who said they could easily get the parts. Called the garage who have my bike (Honda Phoenix to name and shame) told them I'd just collect my bike add Suzuki could fix it. They asked for the opportunity to speak to Suzuki (seriously, why did they not do this yesterday?!) And called back 10 mins later with a quote for the work! I asked for some money off since I had basically found the parts for them and they agreed to a small discount.

What surprises me is a 125 owner screams potential customer in the very near future so why be so lazy/deceitful in fixing my bike. will be looking round for a better garage, I don't have the interest to fix the bike myself, would prefer to pay someone else to do it :)

ETA: thanks to everyone for reassuring me that the parts were available, this forum is such a great place for noobs like me!

dont forget to mention to honda that trading standards were very interested in your reporting of a local garage that attempted to mislead a female in an attempt to gain a sale of a motorcycle. but you are not sure wwhether to tell TS the garages name or not.

lets see what discount honda apply then :wink: