FIFA and the Poppy

nman1

It wasn't the legion forcing the clubs mate.

Was the footballing authorities.

Don't think the club were sad either, think it was just never the norm for football teams to have them on their shirts.

One club did it one year, and then lo and behold everyone is doing it.

then up here it became compulsory apparently.

No biggy to me, having been part of Remembrance parades before in my ATC days.

But you take it that maybe, for some reason, England were allowed the poppies on their shirts.

But one player doesn't want to wear it, and has a shirt without.

The guy would be hung, drawn and quartered by everybody.

That is the problem nowadays with the poppy.

Even this week already I have seen folk being abused for not wearing one (and it wasn't me despite the fact I wasn't either).

Clearly an SFA thing then.

As much as I wear my poppy with pride, I would never have a pop at someone who doesn't. I wear one all year round and am often asked why . I do remember last year while selling Poppys on the street in Newport a gent came up to our table and peeled of a nice crisp £20 then attempted to push it into a tin, he then tried several others before I realised that he wasn't having trouble getting one note into several tins. He was in fact having no trouble putting it in, he must have donated some £120 at least. And he just walked away without a poppy.

Although I normally stick a few quid in the box, there are people, including myself, that realy don't like the whole poppy wearing thing; for many of the same reasons I hate the use of the word 'hero' in so many similar things these days. So I can only assume that the reasoning falls into that general area - although it seems a little petty to care what symbols people wear on their sport kit. Football is a petty, girls sport anyway though :D

I tend to agree Aaron.

The men and women who fought and died in WW1 & 2 were heroes in my eyes.

None since have 'fought for our freedom', and instead have only done what they signed up to do. (i.e. go and fight wherever they are sent and risk their own lives - granted nobody signed up to die or get injured specifically and it is sad that some forces personnel have done).

Remembrance Sunday to me will always be for those men and women of the two great wars only.

While I sympathise with (and respect) those fighting, killed or injured in other squabbles around the world, I don't see them as 'heroes'.

And why it is all dragged into sport still mystifies me.

I know this kind of detracts from the main issue of the OP, and for that I apologise.

The whole poppy thing is very contentious.

What we do at home in the UK is different to what we should do on the international stage. We have invading armies in foreign countries. We are involved in Regime change in several countries. We are accused of being involved in illegal campaigns and are accused of being involved in Rendition and torture.

The world does not want us to rub their noses in our pride for our armed forces.

Along with the Empire forces, there will be many Axis representatives at remembrance ceremonies this year.

Will there come a day when we have representatives from the Taliban?

Soldiers aren't heroes, simply because they're soldiers. Soldiering is a very ancient and respectable trade.

An interesting statistic was quoted to me in a safety induction at work. There have been more fatalities in the British construction industry than combined British armed forces over the last 10 years

Perhaps we should have the England team turn out in Hi Viz and hard hats and start a campaign Help for .......riggers?