gps

heated grips

ABS

stickers

revised suspension

power points

panniers

centre stand

Some were options does that count as a modification.

Maybe i should swap the stickers for Nitrous?

I don't believe MCN 99.99% of the time but that's just dumb, I wouldn't call cheap accessories like tank protectors, rear huggers, rad covers, crash protection & screens etc "mods"... they're things that do not affect the bike in any way other than make it easier to clean and a bit more practical and comfortable in the real world.

Aftermarket exhaust systems, altered gearing, engine tuning, performance/lightweight replacement parts do qualify because they tend to affect the handling and performance which might understandably be of interest to an insurance company.

Feels like they're trying to improve their margins by catching people out who would never think to declare stuff which is just common sense to have on an every-day bike.

Imagine how far this could really go; "Hello Bennetts, I'm using handlebar muffs today and I'm putting a pinlock in my lid"

"oh dear mate, that'll be an extra £80 modification fee please or else we'll void your policy... by the way, do you use a tank bag?".

"yep"

"make it £150 then"

Id be in trouble...

Fuel carbon wrapped end can

Smoked lens LED tail light

LED indicators front and back

Anodised blue racing levers

Powerbronze screen

Headlight conversion with 501 Xenon blue side light fittings

I've got bright red LED lights coming to boost rear visibility just so I dont get any trouble with the smoked lens. A set of xenon white/blue front LEDs with glint modulator so you can always see me in your mirrors and Im getting custom engine casings, and a lot of non standard parts for the bike that make it run better, drawing less electrical power and so on :?

Ive only had the bike for 2 months, this isnt very good at all!

A top box, fenda extenda, a gel seat pad and mirror extenders.

Well, next time I insure my bike I'll find an insurer who understands that people who mod vehicles are also people who take pride in them and that means they are less likely to have accidents as they take more care. They are also less likely to claim as they are up to doing their own repairs.

What we are all forgetting though is insurance companies dont just protect against accidents. Got new bar ends? Double bubble screen? Other mods which make the bike look better? Well if it looks better it is more appealing to thieves. Also if you have a double bubble screen etc, it may be more expensive to replace the parts if you do crash.

I however dont believe any large insurance company would ony let you have 3 mods, its a bit of a stupid rule as I would have thought most bikers have more than 3...

Screen

Rear hugger

scotoiler

heated grips

top box and rack

powerpoint

Exhuast

Iridium plugs

and its been lowered

Most people will change the screen and put a rear hugger on these should come as standard.

A scotoiler prolongs the life of the chain, The screen reduces fatique, rear hugger helps protect the shock therefore reducing the chance of something failing on the bike causing an accident. So i look at them as safety items, which should reduce your premium.

Maybe they would prefer us to ride around with a big heavy rucksack on our back rather than have a topbox.

I have

screen

crash mushrooms

lowering kit

bar ends

tank protector

rear/side pannier rack

how bizarre that a large insurance company like Bennetts should impose such ridiculous restrictions?? Surely all that will serve to do will be to lose them custom ... :?

Oh yea, I have an iridium spark plug (makes no difference to a 125, but I needed a replacement plug lol)

I have also taken off the rear bar/rack thing. Does that count as modification :lol:

Bandit was completely stock when I saw it at the showroom, but it already has:

non OEM tyres (sport tyres :D )

bar ends

most likely going to have:

iridium plugs

crash bungs

exhaust

Possibly also going to get:

new under tray to fit tail tidy

tail tidy

different indicators

stainless steel engine bolts

then it will be perfec! :D

Oh yeh I have a tail tidy and crash bungs as well, and some insurance companies will not replace all modded parts under a claim either you may get a small bonus amount but not the full cost, I would assume they would repair the bike to standard parts.

hmmm mods i have a lot more then three!!

braided lines

fender extender

TRE

power commander

opened up air box

BMC filter

double bubble

undertray

LED rear light with built in indicators

Bitubo rear shock

hugger

lower fairings although they are an OEM aftermarket add on

yoshimura RS3 bolt ons

we wired coils that run off a relay and a direct feed from the battery

UK headlight as its an import

if you want to be really picky

chain and sprockets

tyres

brake pads

think i have enough :lol: im sure there will be something i have missed

Wander where MCN get there facts from?

On this occasion I would imagine they got their facts from.... erm.... Bennetts?

Interesting that Bennetts say that the limit that has been imposed is reasonable given that the majority of policy holders only admit to a sngle modification. Seems that past lies DO catch up with Bennetts' policy holders...

Neither of my bikes have any mods. As far as I am aware. How would I know (and should I be expected to know) if Honda fitted Scorpion cans as standard? Or if the bar ends are standard fitment. Or if the length of wire that runs between the horn push and the horn itself is standard or has been replaced at some stage in the bike's history?

just remembered the bandit also has a tank pad and a couple of stickers warning thieves it has alpha dot... so that what? 5.

oh and i used a touch up pen on the YBR. wander if that counts? would be surprised if it didn't...

i went off Bennetts when it took them four attempts to send me proof of no claims and i still never got it...

I think i'm ok..

Non standard screen

Aftermarket exhaust

Rear hugger..

Ooh hang on..

Front mudguard and grab rail are not the original colour, I have heated grips but they don't work (does that count??) and an optimate lead. Damn! Does that mean that even if I declare them and then go touring with the rear rack, throw-over panniers, tail pack and a magnetic tank bag I'm not insured?? :shock:

I think I'll give them a ring... Naah f**k it, I'll stick with paying £37 a year to Swinton thank you very much 8-)

Scottoiler

Renntec rack

Panniers and brackets

Flyscreen

Optimate leads

It's daft though - how can panniers and a rack be more dangerous than bungeeing everything to the seat?

The scottoiler keeps the chain in good nick and the flyscreen stops wind buffeting.

Gotta be safer, surely?

Q: Why can you select up to two options on the Poll!!!!! :up:

A: because you may have more than one bike :up:

EDIT: I selected both :D YBR has 2 (3 if you count taking off the rear handle/rack thing and bandit has erm... 1, 2, 3... 4? I think. Utill I put the top box back on (which will probably be once every couple of weeks). Does that mean I would have to ring them every time I put the top box on and every time I took it off again?