GARYJL

Im in the process of buying a house and im thinking about converting

the heating from gas to oil and thought I would see if anyone knew roughly

what it would cost ? Its a two bedroom house and it already has raidiators

in all of the rooms so its only the boiler that needs swapped and connected

to the mains.

Edited by GARYJL

Really, gas to oil?

The cost of installation of the new boiler, the boiler its self, the installation of the oil tank and everything else included probably is not going to save you money! That and oil is getting steadily more expensive?

If your trying to save money go ahead and make your house far better insulated, anything from triple glazing, cavity walls, loft insulation etc etc, hell chuck in some PV or solar thermal panels :lol:.

Seriously, its not something I'd consider, oil to gas then yes I'd agree...

Have u got gas in the area? Are there gas mains that could have a service taken off them in the road or footpath? Or are you taking bottled gas?

You need to consider the cost of installing a new service, boiler and any other associated pipe work needed.

We use oil for heating and hot water, and the cost is creeping up every year. :(

Yes I think u can plus you'd need access to the meter as well. Have u not got an airing cupboard upstairs? They can usually fit in there too

Its in a really bad place, if everything goes ahead and we get the house im going to

refit the bathroom in the coming months so I might swap things round and have the

gas burner stuck randomly to the wall for now and then box it in later.

Ideally outside would be best.

Best thing to do is contact ur local gas supplier. Have a look on the NationalGrid website. I work for them but I don't know everything. There should be a section on there about who to contact etc... If I get chance tomorrow I'll have a look for a link but like I said I dont know everything. Or try the ofgem website there the watch dog and there should be some info on there :)

Anyone know if you can have a gas boiler outside like oil ?

I think you have to have direct access to an outside wall and it would be

a nightmare getting somewhere thats not going to look crap.

I know very little about boilers but where I used to live we had our boiler (oil fired cos there was no gas in the village) backed onto an outside wall & the whole thing kind of went through the wall, if that makes sense. Outside there was a removeable panel and maintenance work to the boiler could be done from outside I think :?

Oil to gas makes sense.

Current boilers can go in a lot of places, due to less heat loss and smaller size, I'm not sure if you can get external gas boilers but worth looking around.

Make sure you get a decent installer, there are so many problems you can experience with a cowboy its unreal. Do not go British/Scottish gas if you can help it too :lol:.

Combi boilers are very common but really does depend on the type of demands you'll be asking for (1 shower or 3 showers at the same time etc?) and what kind of in comming flow rate and pressure you have on your cold tap.

As said going to LPG (bottled gas) would be pretty pointless also.