Hospital parking charges

XmisterIS

In an hour I'm off to the local hospital for an MRI scan of my head to see if I have a brain or not.

But seriously, it costs £1.60 per hour to park and they have gone out of their way to make sure that bikes can't get round the barriers. It's pay-on-exit and they have deliberately put in barriers that are too wide to get bike round, and they have a bit hanging off the bottom, so you can't dip underneath. And if you park anywhere else, there are private traffic wardens buzzing around like flies round shit, who will have your vehicle removed in the blink of an eye. Even at night. And when they started charging for parking, all the roads round about suddenly got double yellow lines. Funny that.

And does any of that money go to the NHS? No. Not one penny of it. It all goes to a private company called Carillion who run all of the hospital car parks. It's all profit for them.

It begs the question, who the hell in the Department of Health thought that it would be a good idea to give the parking contract to a private company? And then give none of the revenue to the NHS? And then allow that company carte blanche to charge whatever they like?!

Rant over ...

They are shocking! :evil:

When I had to use the Luton & Dunstable hospital any time it used to cost about £5!!

Have to say that when I went to Shrewsbury hospital it was a straight £2, however long you were there for.

But it's ridiculous that private companies are pocketing the money when the hospitals could really do with the money!

In most cases the NHS Trust sells off the parking rights for x number of years and does pocket the cash to invest back into patient care, buildings etc. This was certainly the case in all the Trusts I worked in. PFI hospitals maybe slightly different dependent on the contract with the PFI company. This way the parking company bears the risk of future income and all the hassle of collecting the cash.

Ps: I agree the charges in many cases are too high.

Mark

It's my understanding that PFI schemes royally shaft the taxpayer - cheaper in the short term but very much more expensive in the long term. And that extra expense is in the form of profit lining the pockets of the already very rich.

It's my understanding that PFI schemes royally shaft the taxpayer - cheaper in the short term but very much more expensive in the long term. And that extra expense is in the form of profit lining the pockets of the already very rich.

Not all PFI contracts, just those that have been poorly managed through the inception phase. I will probably be looking to utilise a PFI vehicle to provide our 6th form centre, which will prove to be very beneficial financially due to the increased revenue funding it will open up in the short term. We are not likely to be outsourcing our car parking though. :shock:

One of the investors is likely to be a pension fund. Shock, horror, pensioners benefit from PFI, whatever next? Wait till the Daily Mail find out!

Are you suggesting that investors shouldn't profit from their investments?