removing stuck bolts

sparky

hi guys,

since i've not used the bike for a long time now, (it's been in peices) i'm starting to get some stick about it being a waste of space. unsurprisingly. the problem i'm facing at the moment is that i've got a bolt that's just plain stuck. i've soaked it in WD40, and ive tried heating it up, to no avail so far. my biggest problem with this particular bolt is that i've managed to take the head off it. i've actually done it to two in the same section, so i'm after some ideas on how to get these two bolts out... any thoughts?

depends how its holding it on how much of the head has come off.

if the whole head has come off, can you slide what ever it is off? can you get to the other end and use pliers to unscrew it?

i have no idea if it will work but you could try superglueing something onto where the head used to be and use pliers to grip on to it. if not then it may have to be drilled.

what's it attached to at the moment and how much of the head has come off? ie has it totally come off or is it that you have sheered it and can't grip it with a spanner?

tried mole grips mate. can't get it to move at all...

Try heating whatever the stud is screwed into, not the actual stud, as hot as you can possibly get it, then try unscrewing with mole grips? Failing that, hacksaw it flush and drill it out.

u can get a gadget on ebay where you drill a hole into the bolt then ream a thread oposite thread and then you can screw it out with a spanner

cant remember what its called but dead handy and there was a utube vid about it

Edited by polecat

u can get a gadget on ebay where you drill a whole into the bolt then ream a thread oposite thread and then you can screw it out with a spanner

cant remember what its called but dead handy and there was a utube vid about it

Think I have come across a couple of vids about these, they also seem to meto be the best option before having to drill anything out.

Using stud extractors is great when they work!

You need to drill a hole in the centre of the stud, then you screw these in the 'wrong' way, they are tapered and once they are in as far as they will go, theory is the stud then screws out. The problems begin when the stud doesn't screw out and the extractor snaps off, as they are hardened steel and you cant easily drill through them, so you are totally stuffed!

You can buy them at Halfords and other motoring shops as well as online, but be careful, you can easily make matters much worse.

WD40 is a dewatering fluid and light lubricant. You need a dedicated penetrating oil, something with graphite in it.

Stud extractors work. Can be used in conjunction with an impact drive. Otherwise it's off to your local engineers and have it spark erroded.

And don't be trying to superglue a bolt head on will you :roll:

Most bolts , studs etc ,on a jap or european bike will have a thread lock solution applied to stop them vibrating loose.

You need to overcome this, not just friction and corrosion 8-)

:stupid: although I'm not sure about the lots of it.... :wink: I used to put a little on the bolt, let it soak in and then add more. Leave it soaking for a few days to make sure it soaks the whole way in. If you use a stud extractor you need to use the largest one you can for the bolt size that is stuck, make the hole for it central in the old bolt and drill down straight......use a pillar drill if you can lay you hands on one. And don't go mad with the stud extractor.....as above, if you snap that off in there you are truly stuffed.... :shock: