Starting a bike thats been stood a while....

Horseynat30101

I need some help guys and girls.

Got the xjr out to jump start, using a car to jump start it off (i understand you shouldn't have the car ignition on or car running). Anyway bike sounds like it wants to start but wont.

Its been stood a few months so im thinking the fuel has dried up in carbs, is there an easy way to get fuel into the carbs without having to strip everything?

Also any other suggestions as to why its not starting. I thought this would be easy... silly me!

Does it have a petrol tap, and if so, does it have a 'prime' position? If so leave it on this position for a few mins before trying to start it :thumb:

moved to pitstop

you dont HAVE to strip them to get fuel in them but you may have to if the floats are stuck shut usually a tap on the bottom of the float bowl can free them up

and your fine starting off a car battery

I f not started for a long time, I would squirt WD40 into the plug holes and leave overnight. Spin it over in the morning. Drain all fuel out of tank and drain carbs using drain plugs. If it still won't start on fresh fuel, try some Easy Start in the air filter inlets, that usually works. If you bare unlucky , there is crud blocking the jets, but not usually all of em. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I used to have a Bandit that wouldn't start if I left it for quite a few months over winter - I had to syphone all the petrol out and put fresh stuff in - that usually worked.

Not sure if it will solve your problem but it might be worth a try if it's really old petrol - or if the tank isn't full get some fresh stuff and pour it out, I've tried that one and it worked just the same.

How old is the petrol likely to be?

Dont do what I did and leave the kill switch on only to think that the starter going means its fine :lol:

Drain the fuel and put some in with STP fuel cleaner and see if that does the trick, it should then free up the carbs a bit as it runs it through :)

if its trying to start then i bet the plugs are a tag wet from off fuel in the carbs

can you smell fuel from the exhaust?

pull the plugs if you can and dry them out a naked flame works really well

Clean the plugs and put them back in warm. A minute or two over a gas ring should do the trick. Second thoughts, put new plugs in, and check all the leads. When you park up your bike, fill the fuel tank. Safer and less chance of problems. New plugs solves so many problems 8-)

Noooo i meant there'd no smell of fuel from where stu had mentioned lol. It has fuel in the tabk

Ah, another common problem. The bike should not have a tabk - its like a growth, get rid of it as soon as possible!

Blowing exhaust, quick fix:

Get firegum and put it on when the bike has been run so the heat dries it. Dont have the bike on as it will just blow it back out. Once dry wrap it in metal tape to act as a second and smart looking seal and then off you pop. :)