K&N Air Filter

Boro Jake

Is your Fazer injected or carb?

I read somewhere that on injected bikes the manufacturers tend to set the fuel maps a bit lean at the lower end to get them past emission regs.......so a filter that allows better airflow can possible compensate for this.

Anyhoo.....I'm thinking of putting a PiperCross air filter in mine when I get round to servicing it.... 8-)

If a bike was running lean adding an air filter would make it run even more lean and could damage the bike

Majority of bikes run rich

It is always best to have a dyno run done to see how it runs

If a bike was running lean adding an air filter would make it run even more lean and could damage the bike

Majority of bikes run rich

It is always best to have a dyno run done to see how it runs

Yeah I guess so.....allowing more air to flow will weaken the mixture..... :mrgreen: Just goes to show you can't believe everything you read.... :roll:

I have been looking at the K&N air filters and was wondering if it would make the bike run to lean as i wouldn't be able to afford/see the point in remapping my bike just yet.

the K&N air filters seem like a good investment as you can clean and reuse them, a OEM air filter seems to be about half the price as the K&N one, so after 2 changes your pockets in :)

If it's a higher flow air filter, it will need more fuel than before , If bike is injected the ECU MAY be able to adjust, if it's carbed you will need to jet up and possibly raise needles and open up pilot jets. Do some plug chops or get it on a Dyno :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

although expensive, that's one advantage of the Dynojet filter (carb) packages as they supply larger main jets and even air correctors sometimes to ensure mixture is correct. Fitting those cone type 'performance' air filters to a 2 stroke without re-jetting spells death to most engines.

If it's a higher flow air filter, it will need more fuel than before , If bike is injected the ECU MAY be able to adjust, if it's carbed you will need to jet up and possibly raise needles and open up pilot jets. Do some plug chops or get it on a Dyno :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ah its a injected CBR600F (02), i guess if i do some reading and find out if the bike runs lean or rich i can decide if it will have negative effects (ie if it runs rich it should be ok to fit the K&N)

Or just not bother and get a OEM filter...

You don't read if it runs rich mate, you fit new plugs or clean the existing ones, give it a hard blast along a long straight road, whip the clutch in as you cut the ignition and check the plug colours. Or stick with OEM :mrgreen:

You don't read if it runs rich mate, you fit new plugs or clean the existing ones, give it a hard blast along a long straight road, whip the clutch in as you cut the ignition and check the plug colours. Or stick with OEM :mrgreen:

seems fine to me?

Checked them seem fine to me?

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/380010_2860508225534_1044535061_33104525_1275509292_n.jpg

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/405850_2860518865800_1044535061_33104532_1279509147_n.jpg

Reading plugs is a bit of a black art at the best of times but from what I can see from your pictures you have nothing to worry about. Let's put it another way, you certainly aren't running on the rich side, at the top end anyway.

Edited by giocast