Average speed cameras

botham1989

Hi! Long time no post, I have a query regarding average speed cameras on motorways!

I was driving from Exeter to Stoke this morning with free flowing traffic, and noticed the dreaded "50" speed limit sign, I had seen prior warnings but I hadn't clocked on to how quickly it would come up.

My question is how far off do the cameras pick up your license plate? I "slammed" on my brakes as much as I could (as much as I could safely).

In terms of distance I'd hazard a guess at the cameras being a maximum of 400 meters off.

And say there are 5 average speed cameras on the stretch of road, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, is your average speed calculated between "1" and "2" or "1" and "5"

Sorry if this is in the wrong place guys

My understanding of it is, it is recorded between camera 1 and 2 then 2 and 3 so forth

just drop to about 48 and you'll be fine. most speedos are set below the limit anyway.

When i ride (in an imaginary world) at 100 on the speedo sat nav clocks 92

My understanding of it is, it is recorded between camera 1 and 2 then 2 and 3 so forth

just drop to about 48 and you'll be fine. most speedos are set below the limit anyway.

There was a guy talking about average speed cameras on the radio the other week and I am sure he said they aren't always paired in order, he def said they can be up to 10km apart :shock:

It's funny how they always seem to be set up on clear stretches of road where there have been few recorded accidents. One could be forgiven for concluding that they are there simply to make money out of people.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually just set cruise control going through these but most others always overtake me and some by a fair speed, so I'm not sure how fast you actually have to be going before you are done?? I don't know anyone who has been fined going through them ...

I don't know anyone who has been fined going through them ...

Ditto, the road I used to drive to work had miles of 40mph average speed cameras when they were doing works and used to see loads of people speeding through, and even more flying through then slamming the brakes on for each camera.

On the same radio show I mentioned above they had people texting in and a couple of people had been done for speeding through average speed cameras, one for doing 3mph above the limit.

Braking as you pass an average speed camera won't help as they do just that, record your average speed between two cameras.

The cameras aren't paired. They can be linked to several so if you get a stretch where there are slip roads, services etc, each camera is capable of calculating a vehicles speed between each and every other camera. That is why there are cameras covering the slip roads.