I could have just got three points

GazW

Im seething, I was in the car, with the misses and the baby, in Bolton town centre, I came round a right hand bend to what used to be a two lane set of lights. A filter lane for a left hand turn and the right hand lane was for going straight on. It's probably been a couple of months since I was at said junction and it was perfectly legitimate then to turn left at it, I positioned myself for the left hand lane and started to pass a line of traffic on my right. Then I saw the lane markings, Bus, taxi, and cycle only. I stopped with nothing behind me and indicated to get in the right lane, nothing would let me in, the lights changed to red again. At which point a bus pulls up behind me, I tried nudging my nose into the next hand lane and still everyone is pretending I'm not there, when the lights changed green again I probably endured another 30 seconds of pure ignorance and an irate bus driver up my arse before I thought 'f**k it' I have the baby in the car, I'm not endangering him or anyone else so I'll just turn left.

Bus lane cameras.

I wouldnt mind but the bloody road it leads on there is another set of lights 200 yards along the road where cars can then join that road..

It definatley wasn't a restricted access road last time I used it. Now I play the waiting game to see if a ticket drops on the doorstep.

Do I just accept the 3 points or see a solicitor about contesting it. There were no 'new layout ahead signs' and by the time I realised it had changed it was too late..

Drive it again and check the signage. Take some photos or a video. If it's badly signed or not signed you'll have your evidence for the appeal. Just in case. Of course all this, combined with the associated costs of appealing, may cost you more than the ticket.

Is it a points on your licence offence?

Sh!t happens 8-)

Thinking about the difference the three points will make to my insurance over the next three years. It may be beneficial to take the hit on contesting it.

I will go and take some photos on the bike tomorrow. Could do with it being busy to replicate the conditions as from where I was and way the traffic was positioned in the right hand lane I didn't see the lane markings untill it was too late

pain the arse bus lanes, copper tried doing me for it on my motorbike..

Had a few in the van, no signage but its the council, not worth £30 in admin time phones etc etc really.

At least no points.

God I hate bus drivers lol

I don't get them, the amount of bus's on the road compared to the amount of cars isn't relative to the roads they then close off to the much higher majority of road users. Surely this creates more congestion..

Haven't they just scrapped the M4 one?

Bus lanes in london kinda make sence as the times they run for are people going to and from work.. Then they open to everyone..

The only thing they did that I didn't agree with, was opening it up for Motorbikes.. Then month or two later changing their mind without warning..

Several times I would ride into a regular bus lane only to have to hop out again when I saw the sign had changed! :shock:

Hope you don't get owt for your mistake.. Sod the drivers who wouldn't let you in.. Hopefully they get into a similar situation and see how much its a pain.. :)

the one on the M4 was a trial

they make all these bus lanes and bus only routes to try and get people on public transport in to the city centres to stop the congestion and pollution

i will remember that :up:

Can understand in Manchester, Birmingham, London and other big cities but the likes of Bolton, Chorley, ect, just not worth it IMO, the amount of congestion it reduces for one or two streets the bus will just get stuck in the resulting traffic from everyone diverting round that road half a mile down the route anyway. I can understand when it's down a busy road or something but the way Bolton council have done it seems idiotic.

Almost as idiotic as driving down a bus route!! ;)

I used a popular search engine and typed in 'new bus lanes Bolton' to find an article saying the route I got nailed on was due to start in March and finish in July, there was a phone number attached in the article for enquiries so I rung it, explained the situation and the woman who answered said they are just monitoring the route ATM and not enforcing it although she couldn't guarantee anything so fingers crossed nothing will come of it..

Had a few in the van, no signage but its the council, not worth £30 in admin time phones etc etc really.

At least no points.

I just hate busses bloody pauper taxis!

At least no points.

I just hate busses bloody pauper taxis!

*Hugs Techno*

Ive missed you! :lol:

Makes sence to but a buss lane camera on a brand new buss lane :) Income for the win.

When ever I have seen a Buss lane you have plenty of time to stop before driving into it, I would of stopped before the red markings and then waited till Xmas if needed. Well I lie as Trish drives most the time so in that senario I would of got our the car and just held up one of the cars till trish could pull in, done that several times.

But if somehow you only get 10 feet of notice before the red bus lane then id be up in arms!

I think Bus drivers are brill! way better drivers than taxi folks