Brake disc - OEM vs Kyoto?

Ingah

Having bought Kyoto GG brake pads for my rear brake, i have now had it confirmed that the rear disc is warped.

An official Honda replace disc is £71, whereas a Kyoto replacement disc costs £62.

Is it worth paying the extra for the Honda disc, or is it always best to pair the Kyoto pads with the Kyoto disc? (besides which, that's nearly a tenner difference in price too - enough for another set of Kyoto brake pads :lol: )

You are supposed to replace the pads at the same time as the disk you know ;-)

Never heard of them before to be honest as long as they aren't cheap Chinese crap I'm sure they would be fine

You are supposed to replace the pads at the same time as the disk you know ;-)

Never heard of them before to be honest as long as they aren't cheap Chinese crap I'm sure they would be fine

Wemoto sell either Kyoto or EBC. And i'm not paying the massive premium (£90+) for EBC.

I am replacing them at the same time, i'd bought the pads but was hoping i wasn't going to need a disc to go with them. Unfortunately, i clearly do need a disc to go with them. I've even got new seals ready - i'm all prepared is me :D

Is there an important reason you shouldn't do that, anyway? I'm sure i vaguely remember replacing my front disc with the disc from the spare CB500 without changing the pads for new, and i'm not dead yet :lol:

Well if wemoto sell it I would buy one off them I can't see them selling cheap tak can you :-)

Pads bed in to the disk and follow the contours of it giving max breaking performance

With a new disk you could have less contact patch and also cause the pads to glaze over which will stop them performing as well as they could

Well if wemoto sell it I would buy one off them I can't see them selling cheap tak can you :-)

Pads bed in to the disk and follow the contours of it giving max breaking performance

With a new disk you could have less contact patch and also cause the pads to glaze over which will stop them performing as well as they could

Hopefully not anyway, but from what i've seen of their customer services so far i imagine that even if it does go warp prematurely, they're likely to be decent about it.

Looks like if i buy a givi rack too, i'm only 8/9 quid away from free delivery... hmmm what additional tat could i buy? :lol:

And unfortunately megawatt it's a little late because i've already bought the Kyoto pads back when i was hoping i didn't need a disc. Wasn't happy with Honda's price for the OEM pads at all. Figure i can get away with more anyway, it being a rear brake and all...

• 2 weeks later...

Kyoto pads are as good as EBC in my opinion. Have used on both my 1100 Draggie and the 900 Divvi, fact is the bikes share the same braking system.

Never had a problem, I am making the assumption that the discs would be of similar quality.