Open faced helmet with chin guard

I really fancy an open faced helmet, but want something to help protect my chin. I do not want a face visor either. So far the best I have found is this helmet, the Lazer Twist with its leather skirt going most of the way round the chin.

http://www.scootercrazy.com/acatalog/lazer-twist-black-metal.jpg

Is there anything that has a chin guard as you find on police or army helmets where the chin is covered like this?

http://www.gray-nicolls.co.uk/UserFiles/images/products/large/chin%20strap.png

I wouldn't have thought a chin patch like that would do much to protect you? Not saying you have to have one, just wondering why you want that type of strap? what about a motorcross style helmet with proper chin guard but in black or white for road riding?

Ian, I saw a helmet yesterday which was a full face helmet but could be used chinless or visorless or even both together I think. It would be better than just a chin strap.

I can't for the life of me find the site I saw it on though.

Ed, there are few modular helmets which I have tried and with the chin bar in place they may as well be full faced. I like the Schuberth J1, but it has a visor. I prefer riding with my safety glasses.

Yes Techno, I saw a helmet that appears to fit the bill on the internet. Now I am considering what to do about it by consulting you chaps and then finding one to try.

Colin, I am looking for a way to minimise the damage whilst getting a better view out of the helmet and and my accident where I did head face first to the tarmac the natural reaction is to cover your face and it was my hand and arm that took the impact.

I came off on some diesel at a roundabout a few years back while leading a ride out. I highsided and did a superman landing face first on the tarmac. It all happened in a split second. I was winded but not hurt. The front of my helmet took a beating and saved my face.

A lot of the guys in the ride were wearing open face helmets to go with the cruiser style. When I got back on the road several weeks later most of them were wearing full face. Sh!t happens.

A full face helmet that fits properly shouldn't restrict your vision or movement and should feel comfortable. Try lots on.

My unusual head shape means I'm restricted to Veemar and certain AGV helmets, but when shopping I try everything on.

I seem to remember there's a safety issue with chin straps which is why you're finding it hard to find one.

Each to their own I guess..... :wink:

I think that the chin straps were outlawed because they didn't secure the helmet to your head sufficiently, so the lid could come off in the event of an accident.....or so I think..... :)

Just one last comment Throttled......if you can't see the clocks with a Full Face lid on you may want to try it on the other way round....with the opening at the front...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bah!

• 3 months later...

There is a helmet out there that is designed to look like a fighter pilot helmet. I am not too much of a fan of it, but each to their own, and you can get it in fairly neutral colours so that it is not that obvious. The important thing beeing that it is an open face helmet, but also has a bit that you can strap over your face that looks a bit like the oxygen masks that pilots have. Not sure how much protection it will offer, but worth a look perhaps?

With the link I posted, There is a similar helmet to that made by a similar company, there is a link to that one on the page :)

I still would not rely on the chin piece, but it is no doubt a little better than the little strap you were talking about :)

Thanks for the suggestion. The solution in the end was a motocross helmet. The opening is huge, the cut aways each side mean I can hardly see the chin guard. It is not claustrophobic as the chin guard is miles from my chin. It was £99 from Can-am who make off road vehicles and the three wheeler Spyder. You can pump up the lining to get the perfect fit. I wear it with biker glasses, clear for day time and yellow ones for night.

http://www.adrenalinatv.co.uk/cache_img/127/product%7C12740&tn250,650,1&us1&ft1302089043&1.jpg

On a summers day like today it is really cool (temperature not style!), surprisingly quiet and I have no problems with the peak causing lift at speed.

http://www.caberghelmetshop.co.uk/Hyper ... od_47.html

i have a Schuberth C2 flip front helmet - very comfy, good vision and quiet

i also have a carberg Hyper x which can have the chin guard removed and used as an open faced helmet (visor comes right down below the chin in bad weather) and this is the one i use in the warm weather as it gives so much more visability and added bonus of more fresh air around the face without having to ride with flip front up (very dangerous)

I am very happy with the motocross style. The photos don't really show that when on the chin guard sits very low and out of your line of site. I am sure it is because motocross riders sit upright and not leaning forward.

Hiya, just wondering what the motocross style helmet is like room-wise?? May sound odd, but I passed my CBT yesterday and had to borrow one of their helmets. Granted it was too small for me anyway and I walked round the rest of the day with lining-face, but when I pulled the visor down (after having my head flung back every time I did 30 with it up) I started having a panic issue. Not a confident rider, and can't ride if I'm jittery because of the helmet space issue. Is the moto-cross helmet better for that? I've seen they kind of point outward toward the mouth area... Am sure I read on here you had an issue with the space available inside the helmet too??

Mrs T, just do what I did and go to a dealer with as many different styles of helmet as possible and try them on.

Without a doubt open faced helmets are the least claustrophobic. It is not so much the space inside the helmet, more what is in front of my face. Next come motocross, then flip front tend to have a bigger visor than full faced, but not by much. But, my flip front touches my chin, my full face has some space but I can still kiss the chin guard, the motocross has the most space by miles.

If the visor makes you claustrophobic you can get goggles or biker glasses. The downside of no visor is in rain. You get very wet and you need to cover your face with something as rain drops hurt at even 30mph. They are like needles at 50mph!

So it is motocross most of the time and for bad weather I switch to one of the others. If I tour I take the flip front, unless the weather is guaranteed perfect and ride with the visor up most of the time (just the visor, not the whole front)

Thank you, throttled :) Intend to go into a store in near future, but having an idea helps, especially as I'll probably have a 5 year old with me! Thanks for the advice :)