xj600 suspension upgrade

mattycoops43

Hi guys.

Probably keeping the 600 divvy, even when I get something bigger, so was wondering if theres an easy way to upgrade the suspension to make it firmer and better damped by using sh parts from other bikes.

So, can I for example bolt a set of fzr600 forks straight on, or switch the springs over etc, is there a monshock that will swap over that improves the rear.

The bike rides ok, but the suspension is mega soft front and rear,no rebound damping AT ALL!

Its a 97 model 600n with the 38mm forks, and a single left hand disc on the front.

Any help appreciated.

Matt

Sorry Matt, but I don't know much about Divvys..... :oops: But I know that a lot of guys swap front ends from other bikes and rear shocks........so I guess you need to get the measurements off your current bike and trawl the net. With regards the forks, would putting a slightly heavier oil in improve things?......Cheaper upgrade than replacing the whole front end if it works....maybe worth a punt just to see..... :wink: I guess the thing you need to consider with the rear shock is that the Divvy is heavier than the Fazer......so the suspension may be firm on the Fazer but the extra weight of the Divvy may be too much for the shock.

Anyway......check measurements etc and have a hunt round....and maybe look for a Divvy forum and see if anyone has posted mod's in there..... :)

Fitting a front end will simply come down to making sure the bearings work with the stem!

I know on Divvy 600s a popular mod is to take a front end of a FZR and the rear shock for one and fit them to the divvy so it has the added brake disk and better handling.

Its worth a shot as you can pick up that stuff on the cheap anyway as its an old bike but the fact remains it is a good handling bike full stop so fitting it to the divvy will only have good results i think :thumb:

Its worth a shot isnt it! Just buy it and fit it :lol:

Thanks for that guys, as has been said bits should be cheap so worth a go. I am a mechanic/engineer, so would be able to do mods to stuff anyway, as long as it didnt require major tools! I am guessing if you fit a complete FZR end., it is just a case of having bearings that fit the yokes, but I thought it might be easier to keep the divvy yokes and fit fork tubes, as they have bars on a pair of risers, so fzr clip on front end would probably not fit standard bars. I would then have to put some kind of raised clip ons on, (zzr type). Not bothered about twin discs, as to be honest, the speed it does, the one on there is ok, but I guess if an fzr front with wheel came up cheap it would be an easy option.

I have learned the hard way, a cheap swap because expensive if you get everything except 1 brake disc for example.

Will check out the divvy forums.

The only place I know of are reactive suspension but they aren't close to you

Be worth giving them a ring though for a chat they might be able to advise professionally

In regards to the front end, I have heard on another forum, of people cutting the fork springs and using a solid metal spacer to increase the spring-rate.

It involves maths I wouldn't even begin to be able to explain, it seems to be a case setting the bike up to fit the rider, it's also claimed to be about £30 if your capable of doing it yourself.

May well be worth looking into if all else fails

Hmmmm. Cutting a lump off a spring, doesn't adjust it's rate, purely it's travel. That's physics! FZR forks from the same age bike are 38mm also, so would bolt straight into my yokes, and they are compression and rebound damping adjustable from what I can see. SO the ideal would be a complete fzr front end so I get twin disc wheel and calipers, but use my original yokes so my handlebars stay the same.

So i cut off about 5" from the spring,  actually used a grinder wheel to cut it....

Made a spacer out of 3/4 PVC pipe, first cut to 5.25" had to pull apart and cut down to 4.75" which gives me a touch over 30mm sag

I used 16mm washers on both sides of the pvc which adds 1/8" per washer, also removed the stock washer which is like 1/16"

Fork oil: i actually used Mobil 1 synthetic ATF... put the same amount in as I took out,  i dont think i needed to even replace it as the level wouldn't off changed much

Put it all together and what a difference it makes:

Front end dive greatly eliminated

braking improved due to not compressing the front end as much

Bumps feel similar maybe a touch harsher

Bike stands taller because the sag used to be like 1.75" now about 1.2"

I guess everything is ok, i matched the spring size and spacers as close as possible as well as squaring the pvc ends as best as i could possible get them... i didnt bend the spring end so im not crazy about how they seated on the washer.

I feel so many little factors could change the feel of the front end, little more off the spring, little less, little more spacer, little less, different fork oil, lil more oil, lil less.