Can anyone recomend me a bike camera?

• 5 months later...

Bit of a post revival, but how have people got on with the cameras they bought? I want to get a cheaper end helmet cam now, but don't know which one to go for. I am guessing there are better and worse ones in the 30-50 range, but don't know where to look for info.

Thanks.

Bit of a post revival, but how have people got on with the cameras they bought? I want to get a cheaper end helmet cam now, but don't know which one to go for. I am guessing there are better and worse ones in the 30-50 range, but don't know where to look for info.

Thanks.

Maplins do a nice 720p action camera. All metal case and looks like a small black torch. I've got one exactly the same that i bought from ebay.

Picture is not bad considering size and price.

I got a gopro hero3 for xmas (very very happy with that) so i'll be taking some footage with it soon and ill upload it in tried and tested for some comparisons. so far ive had alittle play and it does do looped recording and many other wonderful things.

obviously the setback is the price, i do realise theyre very expensive.

Well, I am not too worried about pic quality, as it is more for insurance purposes in the case of someone hitting me off.

I am more interested in finding which ones will automatically loop the recordings? and are a reasonable price.

Both of mine will record on a loop. I was thinking of buying a second smaller camera so i could permanently mount one facing forward and one facing backwards. There is an option for them to start recording when power comes on and stop recording when power cuts so with them wired into the ignition they would record all action front and back!

EDIT: Some pics:

Both of my cams:

[album]570[/album]

One of these facing forwards, and a second facing backwards:

[album]572[/album]

Well, I am not too worried about pic quality, as it is more for insurance purposes in the case of someone hitting me off.

I am more interested in finding which ones will automatically loop the recordings? and are a reasonable price.

Both of mine will record on a loop. I was thinking of buying a second smaller camera so i could permanently mount one facing forward and one facing backwards. There is an option for them to start recording when power comes on and stop recording when power cuts so with them wired into the ignition they would record all action front and back!

EDIT: Some pics:

Both of my cams:

[album]570[/album]

One of these facing forwards, and a second facing backwards:

[album]572[/album]

What make, model are yours Joeman, ta

I had an MD80 from Ebay for about £14 and it was really nice quality

you had to edit the note pad in the camera to set the date or remove it

It had a waterproof cover and the only thing I did not like about it was the hard to use buttons and leds which you could not see in daylight to know if it was on or not.

Might get another as the one I had got stuck up the chimney when I was exploring with it on a stick :)

Any one else uploaded any videos form their cam please? I've been looking at getting one but unsure what one to get at the minute, i have been looking at this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180973220235? ... 1423.l2649

:)

here's a link to a video i made with the black all metal ACT20 camera.. reduced quality to save my bandwidth when uploading to youTube.

">

Cheers, i must say that don't look half bad :thumb:

its a nice, compact, solidly built, affordable little camera too.. only criticism would bee the button is a bit tricky to operate with gloves, and the battery is sealed in and never seems to last long enough... apart from that, great little camera :cheers:

EDIT: found a review on YouTube...

">

Thanks for that :thumb:

I like the idea that you can charge it and record at the same time, very handy.

it can also start recording when power comes on and stop when power cuts, so if you wired it into the ignition it would record all the time the bike was on... ive not tried it, but thats my plan to have fixed cameras on the bike. once facing forward one facing backwards. just fit them and forget about them until i need the footage to prove some idiot was in the wrong!

I think maybe all bikes should be fitted with a constant record camera that you can take out whenever you say get home from work or your rideout and get the SD card out of it and what not, they would prove very useful should you become involved in an accident so you can show them what happened where exactly you were etc.

it can also start recording when power comes on and stop when power cuts, so if you wired it into the ignition it would record all the time the bike was on

Thats handy too as i plan to fit mine behind the screen and leave it.

As you and zod have said it would be handy if you needed proof in a accident or something.

• 5 months later...

Thinking about bike cams again!

We have a voucher for £100 off a gopro which is tempting as it puts the gopro hero 3 black edition at £260 which includes waterproof housing and remote (or the silver edition at 180 but that doesn't include the remote which is £80 so worth getting the black if just for the remote).

For the drift alternative it would be £295 which includes a remote but not waterproof housing (although thats not too important as I've not been diving in years and its waterproof without to 3m anyway).

I'm put off the gopro as it couldn't really be helmet mounted. I have stick on lugs for my lid that I use on charity rides and the drag from them is bad enough at motorway speeds. I like that it can be chest mounted, although I am not sure how good a view that would provide on a faired bike with a smoked double bubble screen! The drift can be shoulder mounted with a similar harness.

The gopro does hd slow motion which I think would be really cool. Also claims low light performance, not sure how that compares with the drift.

:/

Did you know that you can get a free app for your smartphone that is a remote for the gopros? if you leave wireless on then you can turn it on and off through your phone and do every other setting too (which i find so much easier than using the camera itself)

the lense gives a 170* field of view, so as long as your chest sits above the double bubble, it should be able to see just fine. Ive mounted mine on my helmet to get the occasional ride, and although you can feel it pulling a tiny bit, the drag from the wind isnt actually that bad. Thats from a naked bike upto about 80mph

For the reasons you want it you should be focusing on picture quality. If it is not clear then it won't help you. I've seen very clear footage where it was obvious who the person was and what happened, be dismissed as inadmissible.

Did you know that you can get a free app for your smartphone that is a remote for the gopros? if you leave wireless on then you can turn it on and off through your phone and do every other setting too (which i find so much easier than using the camera itself)

the lense gives a 170* field of view, so as long as your chest sits above the double bubble, it should be able to see just fine. Ive mounted mine on my helmet to get the occasional ride, and although you can feel it pulling a tiny bit, the drag from the wind isnt actually that bad. Thats from a naked bike upto about 80mph

Yeah been looking at them on the website. I'm a short arse so unfortunately the camera wouldn't see over the screen! I'm sure I'd find someplace to mount it, there certainly are enough types of mount for it :)