125 front brakes( Chinese bike)

stranger12

hi all,

my front break is not behaving.

the brake is really weak and it is noticed the most when i am going slow around few miles and apply the front brake whereby the brakes are like on and off . it brake and leave it and then again

speaking to mechanic they told me that the disc is bent which is what causing the issue. it is pushing the pads out and in.

the bike has done only 1200k and i think the disc is warped due to poor quality , any ideas?

thanks

This should be in Pitstop!

And warped discs will obviously bugger your braking, you would feel the on off effect and if its done it that quickly other OEM parts would likely fail quickly too.

But the first mistake is you bought a chinese bike :shock:

If you replace it get a disc off a jap bike on there that fits.

the mechanic was suggesting that a disc lock could have damaged it if it was on and i have tried to move the bike which i never have and even lets say i have it does not have that much force to bend a disc

coming from car background , £70 for a small disc is pretty expensive which is thin where as with car you can get both sides for £50 or less depending on the car

thanks

The price is about right, bike discs warp easier then car discs, it could be some one/thing has struck it.

Get it changed, it you life on the line.

so i guess the disc is warped due to manufactures fault and can not be simply bended by disc lock or ....

does anyone agreed?

Not really, discs warp in use, it happens.

How old is it, , how do you ride, do you get the brakes smoking hot and then sit holding the brake on at the lights?

A trick from my car days to check if it is actually warped, and not just appearing so because of adhered pad material. Ride the bike and use the brakes, a lot, get the brake very very hot, as hot as you can, and then brake some more to get it hotter.

Then ride around gently without using the brakes at all to let it cool off, and most definitely DO NOT sit stationary holding the bike on that brake. When it is nice and cool, try it again.

In my experience, 70% of 'warped brakes' are just adhered pad material that can be burned off.

This tends to work on decent brake set ups. I have absolutely no experience of Chinese bikes or their brakes, from reading the above, it may just be that it is a cheap disc?

Disc lock can warp a disc if you set off with it on. Clunk. Has happened to members here with big jap bikes. Lift the front wheel off the ground and spin the wheel. If it's bad you can see the movement. Techs use a dial guage to measure run out 8-)