Rapidly flashing indicators

Fast Eddie

Can anyone shed some light on this?

I've replaced the front indicators on my S4 after an accident and the indicators now flash rapidly as they would if a bulb was out (but one isn't).

None of the indicators are LED, but I was wondering if maybe they are different voltages and maybe that's throwing a spanner in the works?

Has anyone had similar?

I'm guessing if i stick a new front on the rear wiring (ie on the same side as the one i left on the front) i should be able to test my theory or can anyone see a flaw there?

Thanks,

Ed

If they had of been LED on the front I would of said change the relay for an aftermarket one that can cope with the differences, but as you said they arent, guess it could still be different voltages. The relays only cost around 5-6 quid, worth giving it a go, if anything least you know if ever do want LED's, they will work.

Guest Hodgy

It could be the new indies have lower wattage bulbs in, I think most oe ones have 21 watt bulbs, but some of the smaller aftermarket ones use 10 watt bulbs, worth a check :idea:

It could be the new indies have lower wattage bulbs in, I think most oe ones have 21 watt bulbs, but some of the smaller aftermarket ones use 10 watt bulbs, worth a check :idea:

This could be it. I didn't know what the originals are but i think the new ones are 12v.

Thanks. :)

So, I think the issueat have been loose connections, the previous owner did a bodge job on the front indicators to get round triumphs odd connections (bullets with odd casings). I only touched the standard ones nearest the indicators when replacing.

My unplugging and checking and rearranging.seems to have cured the problem and hopefully it won't be back!

Excellent, glad you got it sorted :thumb:
Cheers, Problem is i don't like the 'sorted by plugging/unplugging' I 'fixed' Gayles gsxr starting problem the same way, but it always leaves you wondering what the heck it was and will it come back. Would kind of have preferred to find out it was a difference in wattage and get a definite answer!

Guest Hodgy
Excellent, glad you got it sorted :thumb:
Cheers, Problem is i don't like the 'sorted by plugging/unplugging' I 'fixed' Gayles gsxr starting problem the same way, but it always leaves you wondering what the heck it was and will it come back. Would kind of have preferred to find out it was a difference in wattage and get a definite answer!

Yep I know exactly what you mean, it's always in the back of your mind will it happen again, at least when you find something wrong and replace it, you know it's sorted :)

• 2 weeks later...
Check charging rate it could be over charging battery

thanks, out of interest how the hell would that work? i can understand different bulbs (i.e. led) affecting the flashing, but not the battery charging rate.

also if i understand correctly, a bike doesn't charge until about 5k revs (i may have been misled on this)? this is happening even at idle.

It might not be running at full efficiency at tickover, but basically a generator/alternator charges as long as the engine is turning. In fact, too fast can stop it charging at optimum rate.

Higher voltage can mess with flasher units, making them turn on and off faster

Yeah.....you need to check the voltage at the battery Ed. The Regulator/Rectifiers on a lot of bikes can give up and you can end up with a much higher voltage going to the battery.....which if not sorted can cook the battery and take out the stator also. So well worth checking first IMHO.

cheers guys, the reg/rec is about 18 months old iirc as it was replaced just after i got the bike. hopefully it's not gone again. :(

I would assume that the reg/ rec is fine after such a short life. Sounds like an alternator problem to be rather than a battery problem (but I may be wrong).

Are you sure the reg.rec is the right one? seems to be putting out a few more volts than required.

So i went out and checked the indicators/battery today. Interesting findings:

Volts - State - Indicators

12.4 - Bike off - Off

11.8 - Electrics on - Indicators on Flashing normally

13.1/2 - Bike running @ idle/choke - Off & On. Flashing quickly

12.9 - @5.5k revs - Off & On. Flashing normally

The most interesting thing i have learnt in this exercise is that the indicator flashing slows down as revs go up (and volts appear to go down). I'm not sure what this means.

Guest Hodgy
So i went out and checked the indicators/battery today. Interesting findings:

Volts - State - Indicators

12.4 - Bike off - Off

11.8 - Electrics on - Indicators on Flashing normally

13.1/2 - Bike running @ idle/choke - Off & On. Flashing quickly

12.9 - @5.5k revs - Off & On. Flashing normally

The most interesting thing i have learnt in this exercise is that the indicator flashing slows down as revs go up (and volts appear to go down). I'm not sure what this means.

It could just be a faulty flassher relay, have you got access to a known good one that you could swap with to check?

Hmmm. maybe it is the flasher relay. I haven't noticed any other issues with the bike.

Reading another thread on a different forum it says voltage at all rpm should be above 13 where as mine is less than that at 5.5k (didn't look any higher up). would this indicate a dodgy charging system or is the other poster being too exacting?

Going to have to see if i can pick up something to check.

Thanks,

Ed