Cleaning baffles (to make my bike stop farting!)

BikerMooFromMars

Hello lovely TMBF people!

More recently my bike exhaust has been a bit rattle-y and very occasionally backfires (which I see a bit like a bike farting!). I don't want my bike to fart anymore, and altho it sounds more mean and grr, it's not how it should be so I wanna sort it out - it's also a bit rattle-y. I'm assuming all I have to do is clean my baffles to fix this (at least, that's what my ex-biker dad says). Having seen a couple of youtube vids, is it literally that I unscrew the screw on the exhaust and take 'em out. Also not really seen anything on actually cleaning them - what should I use please?

Thankyou in advance :mrgreen:

332163014_RQDSCN0892.jpg.051dc54ecdbbe24d000b8791479528f9.jpg

1826799242_RQ-DSCN0893.jpg.2c0c51018d923d833f5d251993f468fd.jpg

Baffles get gummed up with carbon. Carefully undo the bolt and use mole grips or a wire coat hanger to remove the baffle. If it wont come out, you will need to remove the silencer and bang the back end onto a block of wood to loosen the baffle. Once out , clean baffle with a wire brush in a drill or hand. If it is rotted, do some accurate measuring , post on here and I'll make you a new one. Do you have pix of a drawing of front end of silencer and header pipe to engine? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Found this on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-KYM ... 4ab925c541

Doesn't look like the baffle is removable ???

More to a backfire than a clogged exhaust. Might be running rich, might have a leak anywhere from inlet manifold onwards. Carbs may need tweaking and balancing. Duff plugs, poor ignition timing. I'd be looking at a service before dimantling the exhaust. 8-)

More likely something else than carbon. If you can, have a look at the plugs and see if the colour is ok, then l would suggest looking for an air leak exhaust side of the motor.

Thankyou for all the help guys, very much appreciated!

Just gorging some pizza then will reply properly - my partner and I have just spent 2 hours pulling apart parts of my bike to get the new headlight on - some bits were thoroughly rusted into place, and bizarrely we found out my horn was superglued into place!!!

Yeah....don't look like those baffles come out.....but the only time I've ever needed to clean the baffles on a bike was on a 2-stroke.... :wink: As others have said it sounds like it could be drawing air into the exhaust around the downpipe/header or further down. Haven't got a hole in the downpipe or silencer anywhere have you?

Baffles get gummed up with carbon. Carefully undo the bolt and use mole grips or a wire coat hanger to remove the baffle. If it wont come out, you will need to remove the silencer and bang the back end onto a block of wood to loosen the baffle. Once out , clean baffle with a wire brush in a drill or hand. If it is rotted, do some accurate measuring , post on here and I'll make you a new one. Do you have pix of a drawing of front end of silencer and header pipe to engine? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Found this on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-KYM ... 4ab925c541

Doesn't look like the baffle is removable ???

Megawatt:

Oh wow, yeah...may not be re-moo-vable! Lol! But isn't the baffle bit separate? I have no idea yet. Spent the whole night sorting out my new headlight so not had a chance to fanny about with the baffles yet. That's very kind of you, I'll see what state it is if/when I get it out to clean it! Cheers for the help :) . I'm baffled the whole exhaust is so cheap - it's pretty huge and looks the bollocks :up: I love eBay

Some bigger bikes have removable baffles and some smaller two strokes. Most are welded up. A lot of Chinese stuff dissolves fairly quickly.Post some pix of the front pipe and silencer. Depending on what copy your engine is, I think it's a CG125 Honda copy, buy a CG125 silencer or just the header part that fits to the engine. Look on Youtube, theres some modified/re-engineered exhausts on there for your bike.

More to a backfire than a clogged exhaust. Might be running rich, might have a leak anywhere from inlet manifold onwards. Carbs may need tweaking and balancing. Duff plugs, poor ignition timing. I'd be looking at a service before dimantling the exhaust. 8-)

I'm gonna go with it being the baffles first, then moooove onto your other suggestions if that proves unsuccessful methinks. I popped back to the place I got it serviced in April after the electric startup gave up on me repeatedly and mentioned about the backfiring - the guy tightened a part of the exhaust (I think he did anyway - I was being distracted by a cool old biker bloke who was giving me some tips as I'd just started riding) and it stopped backfiring. It's only backfired literally about 3 times recently. I will check everything and clean it tomorrow night, been sorting out the new headlight all night with my partner tonight - it's been a bit of a 'mare due to rusty bits and superglued parts!

I hope it's nothing too complex - my family got it fully serviced before I got the bike in late March...I'll keep you all updated! Cheers :mrgreen:

Some bigger bikes have removable baffles and some smaller two strokes. Most are welded up. A lot of Chinese stuff dissolves fairly quickly.Post some pix of the front pipe and silencer. Depending on what copy your engine is, I think it's a CG125 Honda copy, buy a CG125 silencer or just the header part that fits to the engine. Look on Youtube, theres some modified/re-engineered exhausts on there for your bike.

I was told it had a Honda engine or something. I just looked up motorbike silencer to see what it looks like, I'm still not sure... there's a couple of pics of my bike on flickr where you can see my exhaust v well Louise ... hotostream. I will check youtube out tomoz, I'm off to bed now. Thankyou :bike2:

Yeah....don't look like those baffles come out.....but the only time I've ever needed to clean the baffles on a bike was on a 2-stroke.... :wink: As others have said it sounds like it could be drawing air into the exhaust around the downpipe/header or further down. Haven't got a hole in the downpipe or silencer anywhere have you?

I will check for holes tomoz...I still don't know where the silencer is or what it looks like! Shouldn't have holes, had it fully serviced in April, but will check tomoz - off to bed now, thanks or advicey-ness :D

If it is a nearly new bike you shouldn't be having exhaust problems yet! Take it back to the bike shop and get them to sort it out under warranty? :mrgreen:

It's 11 years old! But only done 3000 miles when I got it - I assume the last woman who owned it crashed and never rode it again - it was left in storage til I got it. Which is fine, but not so great when people assume I dented the tank and chrome! :bike: So yeah, it's pretty old, had it fully serviced in April. Altho it is rather likely I don't know what the hell I'm talking about and it's fine...I might ask more knowledgable people at the rally now I'm definitely going :) It just doesn't sound quite right. I'm glad I've got brekdown cover is all I can say, haha!

See some of you at the rally hopefully, cheers for advice :thumb:

We'll give it a good coat of looking at the rally and hopefully tell you how to sort your farting problem! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Goddamn it, I never made it. I got lost...I was on my bike for 5 hours on Friday night (with many stops to try to sort out limp wingmirrors, read maps and 1 stop to try to work out how to fill tyres but wasn't sure so I left it!). The last hour was very dark in monsoon-like rain (okay, so that might be an exaggeration, but it was PISSING it down). I'm gonna spend more time looking into sorting out the rattle-y and occasional fart noises after my partner and I finish our wedding invites this week - I'm letting my bike take over my life a bit at the moment when there are more important things to do...booooo! Lol!

How was it, I was looking forward to meeting you and all the other lovelies I've been talking to on here for the past week. Was it awesome? Am i going to cry?!? :mrgreen:

1214036738_RQ-Strappeddown.jpg.cd170bdf466c7b7ac477b2200e517b2f.jpg

Proof I did try to get to the rally- I spent over an hour strapping my underlay/(yoga mat), sleping bag and tent down!

• 2 weeks later...

It was a blow-out!

I've been slack lately- wedding planning and then we were told our rented flat is being sold and we have to leave in 8 weeks time (when we'll be on honeymoon)! Because of all this I've neglected my bike and not got round to investigating the dodgy noises. So on Saturday I viewed a cottage, bought wire brushes, then after she cooled down later I took the shell of the exhaust off, and after a bit of scrubbing and checking I found the culprit for the dodgy noises: a blow-out. I've just purchased a new exhaust from eBay following the link that megawatt sent http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221082137964? ... 1439.l2648 . I had contemplated getting the hold patched, but with all the corrosion I thought it best to dip into the wedding savings and buy a new one! I'll be replacing the exhaust as soon as I get it.

Next thing - cleaning the inside of the exhaust cover. Should I scrub it til literally there is no rust left? Then maybe coat with WD40? Then after all this I'll be replacing the front tyre, tread's wearing thin :bike2: . I've bought a Haynes manual too - so much to read and learn :mrgreen:

PS - is there a better way to attach files on here - so they are small-ish but when you click on them it hyperlinks to a new window where they're larger? :stupid:

226644358_RQ-DSCN1193.jpg.a9aa36afc5aef8a47cd0fed8a78bf741.jpg

Shell of the exhaust

21361336_RQ-DSCN1192.jpg.454e86a329cf4ff74e218a9aba18d8d3.jpg

There's the blowout! And tonnes of corrosion. Oe of the metal bits to screw the outer shell into fell off in my hand too!

605091358_RQ-DSCN1191.jpg.b4be7343fff6591253a59467bfa8a041.jpg

Oh hello part of bike I haven't explored yet!

Clean all the rust off the exhaust cover and paint with high temperature paint, silver on the inside. or send it to me and I'll make you a very similar one out of stainless steel. Not as shiny as chrome , but it will last forever?

If you are gonna leave your bike neglected for a while, either keep it in the dry and warm or coat all exposed chrome and mild steel with grease, vaseline or chain lube. DON'T PUT ANY NEAR THE BRAKES!!! If you don't and you leave it outside it will disSolve!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Clean all the rust off the exhaust cover and paint with high temperature paint, silver on the inside. or send it to me and I'll make you a very similar one out of stainless steel. Not as shiny as chrome , but it will last forever?

If you are gonna leave your bike neglected for a while, either keep it in the dry and warm or coat all exposed chrome and mild steel with grease, vaseline or chain lube. DON'T PUT ANY NEAR THE BRAKES!!! If you don't and you leave it outside it will disSolve!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Nah, I'm good to her, never left out in rain etc - only ever had to leave my bike in the rain overnight once and I hated it - kept thinking about it and wishing I'd brought my cover with me! I dry her off every time it rains too :angel1:

Thanks for the offer - I'd want to pay you for it of course. I'll leave it for the mo as we've got a really expensive few months ahead of us: moving house, getting married, honeymoon and getting a cat and likely getting my partner a motorbike too (he's insisting on brand new aswell...! :roll: lol!!!). But I'd like to replace it at some point because the exhaust has a large scratched area on it aswell as the rust on the back- I think the bike was in an accident before I got it.

Is grease, vaseline or chain lube better than WD40? If so, I will do, thanks :mrgreen:

Yes WD40 is mostly paraffin and will evaporate. Grease or vaseline or chain lube won't. Bare metal and chrome needs regular polishing or covering with the above or it will oxidise and rust.

I am here to help and can wait for jobs when you are ready. I enjoy fixing things and keeping people away from bike dealers. advise hubby to buy second hand Japanese 4 stroke, instead of new Chinese/Korean. They are worth more when selling and are more reliable. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yes WD40 is mostly paraffin and will evaporate. Grease or vaseline or chain lube won't. Bare metal and chrome needs regular polishing or covering with the above or it will oxidise and rust.

I am here to help and can wait for jobs when you are ready. I enjoy fixing things and keeping people away from bike dealers. advise hubby to buy second hand Japanese 4 stroke, instead of new Chinese/Korean. They are worth more when selling and are more reliable. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Awesome, I'll get her lubed up then! :lol:

Oh really - any types you can recommend? He wants to go cruiser-style like mine, would need to be 125 as he'll be doing his CBT at some point soon, and is currently coveting the same bike I was interested in before getting my Kymco: a Sinnis Vista 125 - Chinese again: http://www.sinnismotorcycles.com/motorcycle.php?motorcycle=Sinnis%20Vista%20125cc . I freaking LOVE the wheels on it most!! Mine are more like spokes, not nearly as sleek! And there's more chrome on the Sinnis than on mine :thumb:

I may call on you after we get married and pay you to do me a new exhaust cover - cheers for the offer. Is stainless steel much duller?

What bike do you have btw? Have you got any piccies?

I can't recommend a particular Japanese 125, except possibly a Suzuki Marauder. They will be more reliable and easier to maintain than Chinese bikes.

Stainless can be polished to a chrome like shine , but it will need regular polishing. But it won't RUST.

I have a Fireblade Streetfighter and a Yamaha XVS1300 Midnight Star cruiser :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I can't recommend a particular Japanese 125, except possibly a Suzuki Marauder. They will be more reliable and easier to maintain than Chinese bikes.

Stainless can be polished to a chrome like shine , but it will need regular polishing. But it won't RUST.

I have a Fireblade Streetfighter and a Yamaha XVS1300 Midnight Star cruiser :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cool, that's good to know. And the Suzuki looks cool (not a touch on mine tho, lol!). What is it with people saying Chinese motorbikes aren't as good - considering I can only ride a 125 atm, the Chinese bikes are the best looking cruisers I could get with that size engine - mine has got a Honda engine, which is supposed to be more reliable too. And the AMOUNT of people who know nothing about bikes who have asked me if it's a Harley - I should just say "why yes, yes it is!" Hahaha! :up:

I just looked up both your bikes - which btw have the best names EVER!! The cruiser is out of this world!!!!!!!! :love: LOVE the twin V engine, what colour have you got? And which bike do you prefer? I can see myself doing what you've done and getting a sporty and cruiser bike in the future! Do you use them both equally, or do you choose one bike over the other for different journies?

Edited by BikerMooFromMars