Is this normal?

Jon5465

Hi all,

I am new to the forum as I have just passed my cbt ( yep, Im a newbie) & I have to hold my hand up and say I need help.

My bile is a 2002 Honda CG 125, it has done 20,000 miles and was last owned by an ex bike mechanic who bought it 5 years ago for his wife.

My problem is this, I THINK I know how to use the choke but it never seems to go to plan.

My bike has 3 choke setting; on, middle & off. Only problem is I don't know which is off & which is on. I've looked through the owners M & Haynes but no hope really.

Anyway... After a few kicks (the starter button doesn't work) it usually springs into life but after three separate 1hour long rides I can't seem to turn the choke off otherwise the engine cuts out... Surly after this amount of time it's hot enough to turn off?

Am I damaging my bike by leaving the choke in the 1/2 position whilst I am riding? If not I will continue to do so but unfortunately I am new to the biking world and need some advice!

Many thanks if you have made it this far in my ramblings.

Jon

Down is Off. Put the choke fully up to start......as soon as it fires drop it down to the mid position....let it warm for a minute and then down to the fully off position..... 8-)

Cheers for the advice! Ok ill try removing the float bowl and then I'll tinker with the idle and main jets. How specifically should I flush them? Air or water?

Air is best..... :)

Set the idle screw to the setting suggested in the manual after cleaning..... 8-)

My OH's daughter has an old CG125 with over 20000 miles on the clock and it is seriously neglected.....but starts first kick and runs OK when following the starting procedure above.... 8-)

Sorry just one more thing... Do I actually need to ride the bike when the choke is in the 1/2 position for the engine to warm up or should I be able to just let it tick over & warm up stationary? Cheers for the help btw.

Normally it's best to let the bike warm up before riding off....you don't want the engine spluttering or cutting out when you are leaning into a corner or trying to pull out of a junction..... :shock:

That happened to me earlier today, engine cut out on me in the middle of a junction just after setting off. It was a case of clutch in and quickly wheel the bike to safety!

I passed my CBT not long ago and think my bike needs some cleaning as I rode it home from buying it for 2 hours in heavy rain.

I had an old cb250 once and it never seemed to warm up stationary. I had to ride it on half choke for about a mile before it run right, but thats the only bike I had to do that with.

YBR's have a similar issue with warming up - have to use choke & no throttle when first starting & then gradually shut off the choke. I always allow mine to warn up fully before riding.

Sorry just one more thing... Do I actually need to ride the bike when the choke is in the 1/2 position for the engine to warm up or should I be able to just let it tick over & warm up stationary? Cheers for the help btw.

If the position of the choke on the CG is anything like the one on a YBR it's pretty difficult to shut it off while riding!!!!

I am quite technically minded, as I am an architect and have to draw building construction details all day long... Plus I have the haynes manual for this bike =cP ... I just needed to be pointed in the right direction.

Your advice is welcomed though buddy as I am a newbie to the bike world.

Just follow the instructions in the Haynes manual.....and set it up from there and you should be OK.... 8-)

But be aware, some Haynes manuals do clever things like tell you to take all the jets out to clean them, and then in the re-assemble bit they will tell you to refit the pilot screw, turning it out the same amount as it was when you took it apart, without mentioning it might be nice to make a note of that when it said 'remove pilot screw' Have a read through the remove, clean, reassemble and refit before you actually turn a screwdriver.

motorbike forum

Just follow the instructions in the Haynes manual.....and set it up from there and you should be OK.... 8-)

But be aware, some Haynes manuals do clever things like tell you to take all the jets out to clean them, and then in the re-assemble bit they will tell you to refit the pilot screw, turning it out the same amount as it was when you took it apart, without mentioning it might be nice to make a note of that when it said 'remove pilot screw' Have a read through the remove, clean, reassemble and refit before you actually turn a screwdriver.

Can't thank you enough for this advice... Lowand behold... You were right haha.

doesn't it say somewhere in the haynes manual that before attempting any task, you should read thoroughly the relevant section and understand it?

mind you, that's coming from someone who has a haynes manual for a bit of light bedtime reading!

Yes it does pay to read through disassembly and reassembly instructions, check all the relevant pics and drawings and check you've got all the parts and tools you need before starting any job. It helps to learn the names of the things you'll need. Nothing like ringing a parts dept and asking for the little round thing that goes in the watsit behind thingummy 8-)

Cheers for the advice guys,

Job done & bike is now ace! I think the problem occurred when I drove it home 2 weeks ago on a two hour journey during torrential rain / driving it through deep muddy puddles.

Scared the S**T out of me as well as it was the first time I'd been on the road since getting my CBT 2 months prior.

Looking to replace the battery now as I have been depending on kick start to get the bike going!

Might start a new thread & ask a few Q's.

This community rocks!

All the best,

Jon

Are you 100% it is your battery? What happens when you push the starter button. Could be a knackered starter, worn bushes, or starter relay, could even be a fault with the button itself.

Are you 100% it is your battery? What happens when you push the starter button. Could be a knackered starter, worn bushes, or starter relay, could even be a fault with the button itself.

No it's defo the battery as the guy who sold it to me said the bike was stationary for 5 months before I bought it & he had forgotten to put it on trickle charge (Plus it's a 3 year old battery).

When I press the starter button I hear the starter click repeatedly but the engine does not turn over.

I know it's the battery as the lights / indicators / horn only work if the engine is running. Plus they are very weak unless I am revving the engine.

I just bought a £20 battery from fleabay which comes with acid but I do not have a charger.

Would you recommend I just pop it straight into the bike & then ride for an hour or two to charge it fully?

Many thanks!

Jon

CG125 is a great bike, did my cbt on one, however it was a shambles, fork seals had gone and battery was almost dead, plus the instructor was an idiot and tried to wheely it. Anyway I used to have a similar problem with my 125 and it was just a matter of it running a bit rich, easily sorted by doing what Tango has said and adjust the idle screw to the proper specs, worked for me and never needed the choke for starting. I would recomend using petrol and a bristle brush to clean your carb. Hope you get it sorted Jon and ride safe mate.