My little Honda

Ok so about 6 years ago I bought this honda from my uncle and decided that I would do it up. When I got the bike I was over the moon as I had always had a love for motorbikes and quads but never owned one, only been on a Honda quad 500cc, not sure what it was called as was too busy tearing up a field to care. Anyway I came to the point after teaching myself how to ride the bike to strip it down, oh boy, and what a lot of suprises it had. Most of the parts were in pretty good condition and been painted with a brush :? silver. Some parts were just rust holding hands and some parts were just welded on such as the exaust studs. So when I ground dow the Nuts on the exaust to get the exaust off I managed to free the engine.

I then came to get the cylinder head off but that wasnt going to happen, they were seazed good, tryed everything I could to try free them so in the end i had to grind them off which I didn't want to do but had no choice.

[album]478[/album]

So after that reavealed another problem, the cylinder head studs were rusted through and one snaped when removing the cylinder head. So I got some mole grips to get them out but the snaped one wouldnt budge so had to grind that and drill and tap it. No problem, just needed to find some new studs (might of as well went searching for the lost ark). I found some new exaust studs no problem and drill and tapped them and fitted them, the right side had crached so was loose. Nothing metal poxy puty stuff cant fix :D

So I have a bike all striped down and spent hours searching for new studs and couldnt find any, I looked for a new engine but was to pricy so in the end i gave up :crybaby: not one for quiting. So i boxed up the parts and put it all away. The bike ended up outside for for a few years as had no room for it as i now had a 125 for geting about on. 2 years later after selling my 125 i decided to photo and try sell my MT50.

[album]477[/album] [album]479[/album]

When doing so I just spent a few minutes thinking where or not I should try and build it back up as I spent alot of time cleaning all the parts. I decided that I would keep the bike and search for the studs once more and if I couldnt get any I would sell the bike as spares or repairs :crybaby: and woohooo! i found a busines called lings honda which was selling NOS parts from all honda bikes including the MT50 so I got 4x new studs and nuts, and gaskets for the cylinder and cylinger head. So I was now on my way to VICTORY!!!!! Kinda :wink:

So now that I had the parts on the way I decided to spray the bike a new colour as the seat had been re apulstered blue I opted for a blue and white theme for it. So i went down to my local halfords and bought some cans and got on my way. So now the mudgar, cowel, tank and rear mudguard was white I needed to decide what was to be blue. So I chose the forks which turned out great.

The parts came and got them fitted and everything flew together, apart from the piston having a Chinese missing in the scirt and one of the rings was broken slightly, everything was fine :D. I got the bike running and was very happy untill when I installed a new piston and rings and she wouldnt start. Turned out one of the rings had cracked so I replaced it and fired her up :D I now had the bike finished, all that was left was to find some decals/stickers to make it look a bit more apealing and to cover the roughth bits :? . I replaced the airfilter as old one needed new foam and got rid of all that silver paint which covered the forks and shocks and revealed nice crome. Also added a few aditional items which I salvaged :cheers:

Here she is finished.

[album]475[/album] [album]476[/album] [album]474[/album]

New parts:

Trails Tailpipe salvaged off a woman in Liverpool

Renthal 773 handlebars

Power Cone 29mm Airfilter

Piston Kit

Cylinder studs and bolts

Exaust Studs and Bolts

LH Side Pannel was red, painted white

King/Master Chain Locking Link

Sunline MX Grips

Throttle Cable

Cylinder and Cylinder Head Gaskets

NGK Spark Plug

NGK Spark Plug Cap

Front Break Lever

Patriot Brush/Hand Guards

Needs:

Cylinder as the exaust studs have come loose as it has cracked, held on tight with metal poxy putty. Works a treat.

RH Pannel

Gear Lever, current one had snapped and just bodged to make it work.

Just the matter of deciding what to do with it, had a little go of her yesterday and runs fine, not road legal and dont have anywhere to go with her or any means of a trailer to get her there. Contemplating selling her but would have to be the right price as alot of time and money went into the build, and not to menthin blood, sweat and tears...the little bitch! :love:

Thanks for reading, this is my first build and first bike.

Nice job !

Bet your glad you kept it now :cheers:

Almost makes me want to do a restoration ....... :oops:

Yeah definatley, learnt alot when doing it. Should get a MT50 nice little bike and straight forward. A few on ebay that don't need much doing to them. What I like about them is you can use alot of bikes for donours such as all the MTs & MBs, the H100 engine fits nicely in and the CR80 can be used aswell for parts such as the swingarm. Seen one with a AM6 engine in it but you need to mount a radiator as its water cooled. I wanted to put a CR80 Swingarm and eather a big bore (60cc) cylinder on it or a h100 engine.

Yeah....you made a good job of it Murphy.......a real sense of achievement and good knowledge gained from that project.... 8-) On to the next one now then..... :wink:

Thanks Tango. Yeah would like to build something bigger, or make this better but only time will tell as money is key. I think if i sold it for a reasonable sum and could get a project for a cheap I would definatley do it again. Its just a good feeling as I can now say 'I build that!'. :cheers:

• 1 month later...

Hi merp24,

just a note for you, if you ever want studs you cant find or buy, go to your local engineering firm and they will make them for you,

or if you can get use of a lathe and make them your self,

Good luck whatever you decide and thanks for the thread, I always find rebuilt threads interesting.

keith

• 1 month later...
Hi merp24,

just a note for you, if you ever want studs you cant find or buy, go to your local engineering firm and they will make them for you,

or if you can get use of a lathe and make them your self,

Good luck whatever you decide and thanks for the thread, I always find rebuilt threads interesting.

keith

Hi thanks for that Keith, however it isn't the studs that are the problem as they are new, its the block itself as it has cracked from when I taped the old ones out as they were welded in and had to grind them off.

Murph