Carb re-install Honda VT500

NearOn

Hi, I have been trying to get my carbs back on my old VT500 for a few weeks now and is doing my nut! I took the carbs off to give them a good clean as bike been sat a very long time! Getting them off wasnt easy, so I bought new rubber boots which go on the inlets (not brand new but off a low mileage bike in better condition than mine. I managed to get them back on the carbs after leaving them in the sun for a while, but now getting the carbs back on the cylinder heads seems impossible.

I have tried heating them up with a hair dryer and they do get significantly more moveable but still wont go on. In the service manual says to use oil as a lubricant on the inner area of the rubbers which I have done too but no luck. Is there any specific way people know of? or any tips really. If no luck soon I will have to pay someone to do it for me as really annoying me now lol.

Cheers, Oli

I had the same problem with my 1980 cb750c. If I remember rightly, the rubbers need to squeeze over a lip on both ends? Pain in the arse! I'm glad they use smooth joints now and a clamp on each instead!

I eventually managed mine by doing the same as you, except I soaked mine in boiling water rather than use a hairdryer (I didn't think of that), plenty of grease. I made my knuckles raw, but it worked eventually.

I havent tried it myself, I,ve been told the best way is to

slacken the bolt that holds the carbs together so they can swivel slightly

heat the rubbers, spray them with silicon oil

push the carbs on then retighten the connecting boilt

I had the same problem with my 1980 cb750c. If I remember rightly, the rubbers need to squeeze over a lip on both ends? Pain in the arse! I'm glad they use smooth joints now and a clamp on each instead!

I eventually managed mine by doing the same as you, except I soaked mine in boiling water rather than use a hairdryer (I didn't think of that), plenty of grease. I made my knuckles raw, but it worked eventually.

Thanks for the replys

Yeah the palms of my hands today are pretty sore! The problem I also have is, it took me ages to get the rubber boots on the carbs, so now to heat them up, obviously I have to hold the carbs, would it not be a good idea to put whole thing in boiling water? I hope to give it one more go this week myself, if I fail yet again I will then try find someone who is better at these sort of things.

Ha ha yeah....Don't put the carbs in boiling water! I did mine with a bank of four carbs on to an inline four engine, so I put the rubbers into water seperatly then eased them on to the carb bodies one by one, then had to struggle with the whole bank of carbs and rubbers and force them onto the engine end! Whoever thinks of these designs?!!!!

Good luck though. At least you've only got two rubbers to worry about.

isnt the vt500 a Vtwin?

I had a lot of bother with a vfr400 I ended up heating the rubbers with a hair drier for a long time so the whole rubber heated through not just the outside quick squirt of WD40 popped two carbs on one side then the other

Yeah its a V Twin mate, I tried using hair dryer and did notice they much more moveable so think I need to be more patient and really get them heated up even more, and have another go, here is a pic of one of the little buggers

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i200/odloveless/IMG_1797.jpg