DA 2012...or 2013?

Hi all!

My first time on here, and I'm after a little bit of advice please :D

I was planning to do my cbt and DA next spring, ready to pick up a bike and have a summer of weekends out and about! I've been reading up on the new license (to be fair I only got wind of the change this afternoon hence leaving it late to think about it!) and I can't decide if I should rush to do it this year and just have a refresher in spring next year before I go out riding again, or wait until 2013 as planned.

I'm 28 and have had a car license since I was 17. I'm struggling to see a reason to rush the DA in 2012 as the changes wouldnt have a major impact on me (at least the way I read it). The only thing some people have said is that the cost of a DA will spiral next year, but if anything I would think it could go down as less people are old enough to take the course.

What are your thoughts, stick to the 2013 plan or do it before the changes, and why?

Thanks

Al :cheers:

The licencing changes won't massively affect you. You're old enough to Direct Access even after the changes come into effect so the only difference is you'll have to do the test on a 600 after January where you can do it on a 500 now.

Just depends if/when they decide to go back to just one test rather than the 2 parts we've got now but who knows if that'll happen, let alone when :)

Welcome to the Forum Al......... 8-)

I think at your age it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. Although there may be a mad scramble of people trying to get their tests done before the year end.....so waiting until early in the New Year may work in your favour as it should be a bit quieter then..... :wink:

Thanks guys, yes I drive all over the North of the UK, and had noticed there seemed to be an awul lot of learners out for this time of year! I think I might go with the waiting until next year option, see if I can get a deal!

I'm still reeling that a provisional is 50quid....I'm just it was nearer 20 when I got my car one! Thieving gits haha :evil:

Welcome to the Forum Al......... 8-)

I think at your age it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. Although there may be a mad scramble of people trying to get their tests done before the year end.....so waiting until early in the New Year may work in your favour as it should be a bit quieter then..... :wink:

Agree, although if you do go for early year, make sure you wrap up warm and be prepared for lessons/ tests being cancelled and rearranged 'cos of (potential) bad weather. I did my first test's training over December/ January and it was bloomin' cold and snowy/icy.

Of course, if you got on with your tests now, and bought yourself a bike and insured it, even if you don't use it over the winter, it'll sit while you build up your no claims?

I'm still reeling that a provisional is 50quid....I'm just it was nearer 20 when I got my car one! Thieving gits haha :evil:

You won't need to get a provisional, you already have that :wink:

:cheers:

Wooooooooo I thought I needed to get a provisional there's a saving :lol: I'm sure I can find something else bike related to blow it on :twisted:

Yes I like the idea of doing it now but I figure I'll just have to do a refresher before I go out next year. I'm impatient as it is so I thought waiting a few months would be good for me.

I figure if I learn in the crappy weather, I'll be more experienced and confident when the weather cheers up and I want to go out with other riders. Of course I could come off in the first week and regret the decision but as my Dad dropped his bike the first day he took it out as long as I beat that I'll take the gloating rights!

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot find out whether someone who is over 25 years old now and has passed the Mod 1 this week but waits until after 19 January next year to do the Mod 2 will have to re-take all these tests if he/she wants to ride a bigger bike after the two years restriction.

Does anyone here know, because it does not appear to be easily found anywhere online.

Thanks

John