Went Drag racing at the wekend.

megawatt

Well had a great weekend at Shakepeare County Raceway near Stratford upon Avon. Arrived late coz M25 shut! paid, scrutineered and pushed bike, a SV1000S to the start line. It was my mate Lee's bike, but he was too ill to ride, so I said I'd give it a go. First time on the strip for 24 years! I warned him that the first run would be a shakedown run, as I had never ridden the bike or used a foot gearchange on the strip since 1983. I came back and he acused me of being a " feckin useless tvat". His best time 12.02 at 94mph terminal speed, mine 11.74 at 120!!!!

Met an old drag racing mate there, his first meet since 1984, mine since 1988. So we paired up for a few runs, him on a newish Z1000. Here's a video;

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r240/megawattblade/th_VIDEO0084.jpg

Edited by megawatt

do you have to wear special kit?

http://orangejuiceinbishopsgarden.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/071031_p33_specialpn11.jpg

sorry mate, i couldnt resist it..

I enjoyed the riding and the atmosphere, " I love the smell of nitro in the morning" , but haven't got the finances mate. If Lee will buy the parts , I will fit em and make em. This bike could run 10.9s with a sticky tyre, longer swingarm and an air shifter. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I enjoyed the riding and the atmosphere, " I love the smell of nitro in the morning" , but haven't got the finances mate. If Lee will buy the parts , I will fit em and make em. This bike could run 10.9s with a sticky tyre, longer swingarm and an air shifter. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

So have you sent him that shopping list? And offered to ride it for him when it's fully upgraded? :D

Looks like a blast. One off or you gonna try and borrow the bike to get to some more?

It's all up to Lee now mate. I put a lot of work into the mods done so far, all Lee did was keep bringing the bike to my place and helped out with some DIY jobs while I was workin on the bike. If he provides the cash, I will provide the labour and skills to turn the bike into a 10 second runner. A second hand sticky tyre is about £50, air shifter kit is around £250 and welded on swingarm extensions are around £350 to £500. Course the bodywork needs modding and a decent exhaust system would help! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks Cat, was nice to get back in the saddle after 24 years and find that there was still something there worth bragging about. Reaction times were still pretty good and I did win a coupla races against quicker bikes!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

My mate supplied his bike, I did the mods for no money, but a lot of time. Entry fee was £40 for two days, plus £20camping fee(rip off).

Matty, bit slimmer than you, but yes I need to lose some weight. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'm only joshin mate! and yes, you got several stone on me! That's why I can take the mick, it goes downhilll you know. Not the done thing to mock people bigger than yourself, unfortunately, this means I can take the piss out of everyone! :mrgreen: