old helmets after intended use

I have now bought myself a new helmet after putting up with rain leaking through my old one for months. I also have a third helmet, which I had my first accident on. This is the one I want to do something with. I'm not sure what. Not give it away but do something creative

Possibly cut it in half and hang it on the wall

How easy are they to cut without a power tool?

possibly make it into a clock but that sounds too hard and would look silly

keep something in it, or hide something in it like a ground anchor. I dunno.

does anyone have any ideas or have any pics of something thats been done with a helmet after its intended use?

open to any ideas really

thankies

I found smashing mine to pieces made me feel quite good after spending so much on it and then having an accident and gear not being covered in my insurance. My bad! Also I should add I did remove any bits I could sell before destroying it and also I do think if emergency services can get some use out of it then obviously that's a better idea :)

Well the the ambulance training station got back in touch and they'll gladly accept my old helmets for training and scenarios.

Just going to pop by tomorrow and drop them off :) They are my local ambulance so i'm glad its going somewhere close.

This was all really quite easy, if you know what ambulances run in your area you can contact them by their online site.

• 7 months later...

Trawled through pages and pages to find this old thread - I always intended on doing this, even before I saw this thread...and finally got round to it :mrgreen: :

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k96/spastic_potato/BikerMoos%20Piccies/RQ-SAM_1027copy_zpsdd214123.jpg

The one I had my crash in - planted recently:

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k96/spastic_potato/BikerMoos%20Piccies/RQ-SAM_1032copy_zps952cd6e4.jpg

My first helmet Ollie got me that I dropped within a month or 2! - planted bout 6 weeks ago:

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k96/spastic_potato/BikerMoos%20Piccies/RQ-SAM_1033copy_zps6f0e6ef9.jpg

It's been a great conversational piece - has got us chatting to a couple of neigbours with bikes :mrgreen: quite chuffed! Would like to be able to seal the bottom part rather than just have a plant pot balanced in there so I can fill it with the plants and soil :D

• 2 weeks later...

Moo, 2 things, 1) your photobucket account name made me literally lol. 2) maybe consider taking a saw to the old lids and doubling the size of the visor opening so that the plants inside get more light and a bigger chance of growing out of it. you could always reattach the visor to make it look more helmet like afterwards. or you could try adding a few extra smaller holes all over the lid and then train the plants to grow through those to give a more even coverage. cover the bottom up with something and fill the lid with soil and you can plant the plants at an angle, they dont mind and they will grow upwards once they establish themselves. (plus youll want a hole in the top to add water)

pain, 2 things, 1) your photobucket account name made me literally lol. 2) maybe consider taking a saw to the old lids and doubling the size of the visor opening so that the plants inside get more light and a bigger chance of growing out of it. you could always reattach the visor to make it look more helmet like afterwards. or you could try adding a few extra smaller holes all over the lid and then train the plants to grow through those to give a more even coverage. cover the bottom up with something and fill the lid with soil and you can plant the plants at an angle, they dont mind and they will grow upwards once they establish themselves. (plus youll want a hole in the top to add water)

1. Photobucket account is Ollie's, I just have an album on it http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-computer003.gif

2. We'd need powertools for that: all we have are a poundland saw, a multitude of allan keys, a cowprint stanley knife, some smallish spanners with a few missing, a £2.50 multi head screwdriver thing from Argos, one of those nut adjuster things that go clockwise and anticlockwise I got from Halfords, some pliers and a load of random nails from Ikea furniture! I only really wanna somehow cut out and glue a bit of plastic to the botom really so I could get rid of the pots and fill it with soil - maybe a few holes for watering, but the daily squeezing-a-waterbottle trick is working well enough so far to water em :mrgreen: cheers tho. I reckon you should do what you suggested!! Go oooooon!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice in this thread, the guy i bought my bike off gave me all of his equipment with it including a full set of leathers, helmet, gloves, boots, luggage rack... and not really sure what to do with it. Most of it smells and i already have my own stuff so don't really want to wear it. Will contact my local ambulance/hospital and see if they want the helmet or anything else.

Thanks for the advice in this thread, the guy i bought my bike off gave me all of his equipment with it including a full set of leathers, helmet, gloves, boots, luggage rack... and not really sure what to do with it. Most of it smells and i already have my own stuff so don't really want to wear it. Will contact my local ambulance/hospital and see if they want the helmet or anything else.

You're not gonna make it into a flower pot?!?!?! :shock: