Brake disks for cbr600

Mrbarry

I think I'm going to put new disks and pads on my cbr, I have found some at the NEC called Thai racing. I have never heard of them but they seem too cheap at £159 for 3 discs! Any one used them or recomend a brand?

Tia

Yeah I have a judder when using the lever firmly, not violent just shouldn't be there, I can put up with it but I don't want to lol.

I have cleaned the rivits by clamping all thread in them with two nuts and waggling it, I also turned the rivits with a spanner then gave them some serious spraying with brake cleaner so the discs are floating nicely.

I have done the steering head bearings because they are cheap enough and an easy job, they where fine but did need greasing due to rust showing in the grease. Now perfect.

I have checked the front wheel bearings and all good.

Next job planned is strip and clean the calipers and replace the seals, then change the fluid, but I'm sure it's discs to be fair lol. But I'll so the free stuff first, after all it's not going to hurt servicing stuff anyway.

Much cheaper to try changing the pads first, get rid of any super hard sintered jobbies first as you don't need them and they are hard on the discs, and cause a load of this type of issue, and put some bog standard EBC pads on. Bike mechanic mate swears by it and it certainly sorted out my brakes instantly!

Much cheaper to try changing the pads first, get rid of any super hard sintered jobbies first as you don't need them and they are hard on the discs, and cause a load of this type of issue, and put some bog standard EBC pads on. Bike mechanic mate swears by it and it certainly sorted out my brakes instantly!

sorry but I don't agree to a degree!

I tried bog standard EBC on mine and they where dog shit!! they was soft as hell and just didn't work well at all!!

Try going for OEM :wink:

some sintered are hard on discs and will cause the issue not all are hard on discs though they have got better over the years

sorry but I don't agree to a degree!

I tried bog standard EBC on mine and they where dog shit!! they was soft as hell and just didn't work well at all!!

Try going for OEM :wink:

some sintered are hard on discs and will cause the issue not all are hard on discs though they have got better over the years

OEM for me too - will never touch EBC pads again after i had the friction material sheer off the metal back plates on a set of EBC red stuff pads... (was on a car, not a bike, but same principle and probably same material and manufacturing process)

Lots of disagreeing going on lately on here lol.

Ok last night I measured the discs with a mic at 7 points on the inner and outer and recorded all results for left and right disc, there is less than 1 thou of thickness run out on both discs, not enough IMHO to cause problems but bare in mind I'm a car man, bikes I'm learning!

I will be getting the pads out this week and doing the caliper rebuild. Ill see what make the pads are and clean the disc faces with Brillo pads good and hard to remove any contamination/deposits.

I have never been an EBC fan BUT they so get good reviews from a lot of people. Ill be going OEM.

Tried David silver and they want £135 each for discs, good site tho :)

Lots of disagreeing going on lately on here lol.

Ok last night I measured the discs with a mic at 7 points on the inner and outer and recorded all results for left and right disc, there is less than 1 thou of thickness run out on both discs, not enough IMHO to cause problems but bare in mind I'm a car man, bikes I'm learning!

I will be getting the pads out this week and doing the caliper rebuild. Ill see what make the pads are and clean the disc faces with Brillo pads good and hard to remove any contamination/deposits.

I have never been an EBC fan BUT they so get good reviews from a lot of people. Ill be going OEM.

Tried David silver and they want £135 each for discs, good site tho :)

its called "Debate", not "Disagreement" LOL!

Before you start taking stuff apart, get a can of spray brake cleaner and give them a good blasting..!!

Yeah I hate my self getting dragged into 'debates' on line but can't bloody help myself :? I do it in person tho I am victor meldrews grumpy cousin! lol

The pads are thick and look near new but will investigate :) I have cans and cans of brake cleaner in my workshop its brilliant stuff.

I am not disagreeing either, all I know is my mate who has ridden and raced for 30 yrs, rode my bike, got off it and said 'f**k me, I thought I was going to die when I got to the first corner, you got no brakes'. I thought they were fine! I had fitted the Gold fren sintered pads that I was given with the bike when I bought it. I had no idea if they were good or not.

Anyway, I went and replaced the pads and immediately they were a million times better.

I actually went to get EBC but the local dealer only had original fit sintered ones, but I thought they would be better than what was on and they really were. I suppose the real point is good quality pads over cheap shite ebay ones or worn ones.

I've heard nothing but bad things about them pads matty!! although I know one person who swears by them! maybe he hasn't used any others :?

carbone lorraine are good but have to be warmed up a little to work at their best but that only takes a few uses

Put a cheap pair of discs on one of my old bikes, ten minutes after washing the bike I'd regretted getting them, rust started to form within 10 minutes making the bike look cr@p. The bike manufacturers put a lot of effort into making sure this doesn't happen, as opposed to racing manufacturers who do not see this as an issue.

Stick with OEM

Put a cheap pair of discs on one of my old bikes, ten minutes after washing the bike I'd regretted getting them, rust started to form within 10 minutes making the bike look cr@p. The bike manufacturers put a lot of effort into making sure this doesn't happen, as opposed to racing manufacturers who do not see this as an issue.

Stick with OEM

er..... The higher the iron content in a disc, the faster they rust and the better they brake. Don't know if things had changed, but back in the nineties it was normal to see a picture of a fully factory built,. immaculate factory bike, looking stunning, with bright red rusty discs.

er..... The higher the iron content in a disc, the faster they rust and the better they brake.

I know, but on a road bike they look rubbish. Manufacturers have spent a lot of time getting the best combination for road bikes.

Just thought I'd mention it because its something I never thought of when I bought mine, all you hear is people saying get iron discs, they're mile better (which they are for a racing bike) and they fail to mention they rust in 5-10 minutes of standing in the wet.

Yes, and the second you drive off down the road they clean themselves up.

plus, anyone who knows anything about racing knows you have the best discs.

What's the problem?

personally, not interested in a compromise in braking performance, just to look better.