Just passed mod 1.... Confusion now?

Hiya Guys!

Just passed my Mod 1 today on a CB500 (Cat A) and what I want to know is that if I now take my module 2 after the new rules come in, what bike do I have to take it on? Everywhere online seems to state I will be doing it on a 600, but the back of my module 1 certificate states that -

"You must take Module 2 of your motorcycle test on the same category (or sub-category) and size of motorcycle that you used to pass Module 1"

Is this just something they've not had chance to update do you think?

I'm not too bothered either way as going from a 500cc twin, to a 600 four, won't be a massive difference in weight and the extra power can only make things easier in my eyes. I struggled like mad on a 125 for my CBT and found it loads easier when I went to a 500.

If you are over 24 on Jan 19th you need to take Mod2 on a 600cc machine to gain a full A licence.

That's what I was expecting really. So I presume it's just something they've either not had time to, or not thought about updating.

I take it that if you're under 24 they simply wont let you take a test on a 600cc?

I've been learning on a 600cc Hornet and sort of fallen in love with it and was actually planning on going to see one to buy in the next week, but my mod 1 was cancelled this morning because of ice and it's looking pretty unlikely i'll be able to get another before the law change. What would be the best way of doing my test after Jan 19th if it comes to that?

I'm only 22 and waiting for 2 years on a restricted or less powerful bike sounds like hell now i'm used to the Hornet.

I take it that if you're under 24 they simply wont let you take a test on a 600cc?

I've been learning on a 600cc Hornet and sort of fallen in love with it and was actually planning on going to see one to buy in the next week, but my mod 1 was cancelled this morning because of ice and it's looking pretty unlikely i'll be able to get another before the law change. What would be the best way of doing my test after Jan 19th if it comes to that?

I'm only 22 and waiting for 2 years on a restricted or less powerful bike sounds like hell now i'm used to the Hornet.

I dunno about the Hornet you are learning on....but I suspect that it may be restricted. Check with your instructor. The new rules (if they are coming into force as there seems to be some confusion at the moment) would restrict you to a bike limited to 47bhp. So I think you could ride a bigger bike as long as it has a restrictor kit (47bhp) fitted....but don't quote me on that..... :wink:

I dunno about the Hornet you are learning on....but I suspect that it may be restricted. Check with your instructor. The new rules (if they are coming into force as there seems to be some confusion at the moment) would restrict you to a bike limited to 47bhp. So I think you could ride a bigger bike as long as it has a restrictor kit (47bhp) fitted....but don't quote me on that..... :wink:

I don't think so, instructor says it still has all 98bhp, and i don't know much about bikes just yet, but it feels bloody powerful to me anyway, haha.

I've been looking on the DSA site and yeah, 46.6bhp apparently. Not seen anything anywhere else as regards to changes not coming in and my instructor this morning hasn't said anything about it. I hope to god they don't come in, but i'm not going to hold my breath.

For anyone else that wants to see the DSA page about it, look here and here for a more specific explanation in a PDF.

I just started a new thread with the same link mate......great minds think alike...... :wink:

No suggestion on the GOV website to suggest that it ain't gonna happen....so I think you'll need to prepare for it in January I'm afraid...... :(

Additional to the 47 bhp restriction you're not allowed to restrict and ride anything that started with more than 94bhp or whatever the actual number is in kW, double the restriction anyway, so if the Hornet starts like as 98 you won't be allowed to restrict it and ride it :)