testing a bAttery :D

Guest lukebolger

Hey dudes

So my bike was flat again after driving it 5 miles home from the garage where it needed a jump

Shouldnt it have re charged by then?

It did turn over and start ONCE, but then I tried again an hour later and it couldnt quite get there

So Ill charge it overnight, and what test can I run, maybe leave it idling for an hour?(is that bad for the engine?)

to see if it hlds?

You need a voltmeter, charge the battery overnight, check the voltage which should be around 12.5, then check it again the next day if you don't ride the bike, if it's dropped below 12 then the battery has had it.

I wouldn't leave it running for an hour, stood idling for that length of time with no air movement over the engine will cause it to overheat

do as hodgy says

you need to know if the battery is holding a charge first

if it check out ok then hook it up to the bike measure the voltage with everything off it should be 12+ volts

then switch the ignition on with lights it should still be above 12 but a little lower then when turned off and the volts should go down slowly if they go quickly then its had it if it drops below 12 volts as soon as you put the ignition on the battery is no good

then start the bike and test with the bike at idle you should be getting 13 volts if not your charging system is dead and needs looking at

might be a good idea to keep the volt meter on the battery while you crank the bike over and keep an eye on the reading it should drop to about 10 volts any lower and the battery is on its way

Hey luke, 5 miles is nowhere near enough to charge the battery. What the starter takes out of the battery will take more like 20 miles to replace. Also the engine needs a few revs to get the alternator really going......nothing massive, but 2-3000rpm. And if thebattery is really flat it could take a few more than 20 miles to get it fully charged.

Charging system was not podged the last time I used the bike.

I had not ridden it any distance in the 2 weeks leading up to the couriers collecting but it was at 12.5 volts when it went on the wagon.

I know you have had it turning over a fair bit and have probably given the battery bit of a shoeing :) and as said, a 5 mile bimble ride won't do a deep ish cycle recharge.

The advice given about not leaving a bike idling for an hour is good, however in this particular instance, with that bike you can do it as the cooling system is excellent and it will be ok as long as it is a cool day, dusk would be my recommendation.

As counter intuitive as it sounds put the headlight on dip as well. You can tweak the choke up a bit to bring the idle up (even better would be to reach under the tank to the carbs and tweak up the idle on the idle adjust screw to about 2.5k)

ace thanks dudes

Im going to put it on a overnight trickle charge when i go to my parents tomorrow, then ill see if its starting ok after leaving it for a day or two :)

probably just needs a charge, unless ive f**ked something up whilst taking off the generator cover :D

I had not ridden it any distance in the 2 weeks leading up to the couriers collecting but it was at 12.5 volts when it went on the wagon.

I know you have had it turning over a fair bit and have probably given the battery bit of a shoeing :) and as said, a 5 mile bimble ride won't do a deep ish cycle recharge.

The advice given about not leaving a bike idling for an hour is good, however in this particular instance, with that bike you can do it as the cooling system is excellent and it will be ok as long as it is a cool day, dusk would be my recommendation.

As counter intuitive as it sounds put the headlight on dip as well. You can tweak the choke up a bit to bring the idle up (even better would be to reach under the tank to the carbs and tweak up the idle on the idle adjust screw to about 2.5k)

2500rpm idle way to high :? The bike would be a nightmare to trickle along in traffic burn't clutch def be on the cards. Dip beam has the wattage output as high beam both normally 55 watt just the angle of beam is change. Best to find a route where you give the bike some work if possible and get some charge back in, or stick an optimate charger onto the battery as and when. PS Most important, make sure you use a correct charger, a high powerd car type charger will cook your battery if left on for to long.

2500rpm idle way to high :? The bike would be a nightmare to trickle along in traffic burn't clutch def be on the cards. Dip beam has the wattage output as high beam both normally 55 watt just the angle of beam is change. Best to find a route where you give the bike some work if possible and get some charge back in, or stick an optimate charger onto the battery as and when. PS Most important, make sure you use a correct charger, a high powerd car type charger will cook your battery if left on for to long.

Yes, 2500 RPM is stupidly high to have as idle when riding, but if you read the thread we are talking about leaving the bike idling to charge the battery, not permanently changing the idle to 2500 RPM, The idle as set is perfect for the bike to ride with, but not enough to leave idling and have the battery charge properly, I know this because I set the idle.

I said to put the headlight on dip because if you are leaving it on for an hour on main beam you are likely to annoy people driving past much more than if you leave it on dip, not because I think it draws less current.

I also did not suggest going for a longish ride which would be the easy option as he does not have a full licence.

Exactly - Cant ride her yet

My dads charger looks like it came from the 60's lol!

I think its set to three watts, or amps or something with a three!

I think I'll leave the idle alone, as its set by an expert - and I will only f**k with it :D

Ill just put it on charge for a good 12 hrs.

I did charge it before with my dads charger and after an few hours the VU meter goes down to almost zero. Which means its charged right?

But I had been turning it over quite a bit

Hey luke, 5 miles is nowhere near enough to charge the battery. What the starter takes out of the battery will take more like 20 miles to replace. Also the engine needs a few revs to get the alternator really going......nothing massive, but 2-3000rpm. And if thebattery is really flat it could take a few more than 20 miles to get it fully charged.

Sorry, this is a common myth.

Alternators are capable of putting a very high current into the battery when needed, the current will change depending on what is required by the battery, if it is flat it will whack high amps into it. I ride 10 miles to work everyday, lights on, heated grips on and I have never had a charging issue. in fact, I recently started it after a month sitting out in the cold and snow and it turned over for a while because the fuel had drained or evaporated out of the carbs, and the battery was completely fine.

If you have a flat battery due to leaving your light on or something similar, and you bump start it, turn it off again after about 2 or 3 minutes running and it will start again as it will already have put a fair amount of charge in.

A good read up here with good advice

http://www.whitedogbikes.com/batterycharge.htm

As said, never use a car charger to charge a bike battery you will boil it :shock: 2 amp charge max. A dead flat battery on the bike will get trashed eventually by the bikes chargeing system, iether ride it to keep it charged or optimate - trickle charge it.

A reminder its NOT possible to bump start a fuel injected or pressurised carb fuel system bike as it requires electrical power to run up the fuel pump and engine management system. Its a jump start only.

Edited by Chrissb6

A reminder its NOT possible to bump start a fuel injected or pressurised carb fuel system bike as you require electrical power to run up the fuel pump and engine management system. Its a jump start only.

Had to bump start my fuel injected GSXR a few times when the battery was dying.. not enough power to turn the starter, but enough to power up everything else... but yes, if the battery is totally dead, you'll be stuck!!

A reminder its NOT possible to bump start a fuel injected or pressurised carb fuel system bike as you require electrical power to run up the fuel pump and engine management system. Its a jump start only.

Had to bump start my fuel injected GSXR a few times when the battery was dying.. not enough power to turn the starter, but enough to power up everything else... but yes, if the battery is totally dead, you'll be stuck!!

Yes l agree Joe, l was referring to a dead flat battery. Once the starter motor starts to run out of steam forget the starter motor, try and bump it.