Service After Winter

PabloK42

Howdo all,

This is my second year in the biking world which I have totally loved :D :D

One thing that concerns me is the servicing of my bike after the winter is over - The ER6F has been sitting in the garage for a while now, so I want to be confident when I get back on it everything works as it should.

I have been quoted £278 + VAT for full service (Bike done total of 7k miles) - Is this a reasonable price?

Cheers

Check the tyre pressures , battery, oil and fuel then take it for a gentle ride.

The main thing the will be rusty and up to sratch after having the winter off is THE RIDER

Take your time to get 'bike fit' and mentally re-tuned to biking. You will be surprised how much you have forgotten over the winter.

If the bike is due a service get it done. Personally i would get a haynes manual and do it yourself.

The ER6f goes 24,000 miles between valve checks, and about 4000-6000 miles for oil though they run hot so stick to the 4000 mile rule in summer.

Check a Haynes manual.

I have done the air filter, oil filter and oil on one in a single sitting. Nice and easy, then all it needs is a clean, adjustment and lube of all the cables and chain and off you pop. Good as new :)

That amount does seem a bit excessive for a minor service. If you rely on dealers for your servicing I'd shop around for some other quotes, if the one you're using thinks that they're charging a realistic price. Personally, I'd say that they're taking advantage of your relative lack of experience and charging what they think they can get!

Or, as has already been said, do it yourself. It may take a bit of time at first but you'll soon pick up some confidence with familiarity :)

All depends on what state you put it away in, was it cleaned and lube up before you put it away, is it garaged and covered? If its was and your between services and running fine then its just a case of normal checks of oil, water, tyre pressure and chain. If its kept out side exposed to the weather then a good clean make sure all the linkages are all lube up and working correctly Sticking brakes can be an issue if left out to the weather. Yep the garages are there waiting to take your money, there's a lot you can do yourself if your up for it! Save your money for the insurance and the like!

Cheers for advice all. Basically my thought process was to be super safe and get a full service done to ensure the bike was perfect after sitting in the garage for a few months.

The bike was cleaned and has been covered in garage for last 3 months.

Haynes manual appears the way to go

Haynes manual appears the way to go

+1, even if you ultimately get a garage to do the work. At least you will know what needs/you would like doing, and rather than asking for 'a service' you can tell the garage what you actually want them to do and perhaps not do, and then they can give you a price that is meaningful. It'll also give you the chance to do the easier jobs yourself, and not pay for someone else to do them.

POWDER (Petrol, Oil, Water(s), Drive, Electrics, Rubbers) alone would cover the safety aspect for such a new bike. And you can (should) do that yourself.

TL;DR: There's a hell of a lot that *could* be included, or excluded in 'a service'.