My very own Stanav conversion

Well I've just saved myself £300+ by modifying my satnav for use on the bike :)

Here are some piccies....They do come with a health warning as you do need to be over 18 and in good health to viw them as I cannot be held reponsible for any shocks to the system from seeing me...

Going to tidy it all up later :) Just glad that it actually works

DSCF0386.JPG.d79671f42e95e8c6374f0bb09623248f.JPG

Back view

DSCF0388.JPG.318dd91d7aa7587ffc2602daa5098028.JPG

Side view with helmet on

DSCF0387.JPG.1dc031f083b277758e551124e8a1598d.JPG

Front view to show the satnav is on

DSCF0389.JPG.2e921465a78c7d15377697d4ed7cc0c5.JPG

view of how earpiece is fitted..

is it tried and tested yet :)

how did it perform?

I have the tomtom rider version 1 and its all bluetooth and I don't use it!

out of the 6 years I have owned it I have used the headset a handful of times I just keep looking down every now and then but I had my sat nav in a position where you could easily see it

I have now moved it and not tried it since so it may be a bit of a pain to look at now!

is it tried and tested yet :)

how did it perform?

I have the tomtom rider version 1 and its all bluetooth and I don't use it!

out of the 6 years I have owned it I have used the headset a handful of times I just keep looking down every now and then but I had my sat nav in a position where you could easily see it

I have now moved it and not tried it since so it may be a bit of a pain to look at now!

Well it certainly works off the bike and I have to turn it right down....I know there will be bike noise but it plugs right into my ear so I can't see there being a problem ...I will be bike testing it this week I hope if the weather stays reasonable...

What I like, from a safty perpective is that although I will be connected it will only be via a soft plastic pipe which should cause no damage at all in the event of an off....I will be putting the unit in my tank bag as I feel it should be ok there but if not I can soon get one of the yoke mounted bags for it...

Will keep you informed...

Orders will be taken :)....lol

I will be putting the unit in my tank bag as I feel it should be ok there but if not I can soon get one of the yoke mounted bags for it...

Ah hence the need for the voice instructions :D

Didn't know if you was mounting it or not to be honest :lol:

I will be putting the unit in my tank bag as I feel it should be ok there but if not I can soon get one of the yoke mounted bags for it...

Ah hence the need for the voice instructions :D

Didn't know if you was mounting it or not to be honest :lol:

I think that looking down is too much of a distraction, hence voice commands....

I can honestly say its not depending on where its mounted

Mine was right over my speedo :lol: sat nav has one on and who uses one anyway a good rider should know how fast/slow he is going 8-)

so a quick glance is all it took for me but where it is mounted now I may struggle so may have to use my headset :?

so could you run through what youve actually done?

all i see is a strange yellow pipe gaffa taped onto the back of a satnav?

Ok....I bought a cheap stethoscope (£3) and took the head off then attached it over the speaker at the rear of my satnav. I then modified an old headphones set to take a 90deg airtube coupler from a fish tank. I then heated up and rebent one side of the stethoscope earpiece to suit my ear.

I put it all together and presto one satnav system that feeds the voice striaght into my ear inside my helmet.

I am currently working on a way to make a trumpet that will fit permenently inside the helmet I have.

Hope this explains it?

Any questions let me know...

Lol this is classic! I thought it was a wind up, but you're actually serious!!

Great low-tech solution to a high-tech problem...

Can we expect bean tins and string for bike to bike intercom??

Lol this is classic! I thought it was a wind up, but you're actually serious!!

Great low-tech solution to a high-tech problem...

Can we expect bean tins and string for bike to bike intercom??

With my acting training and the size of my gob I dont need string, tins or anything else to communicate on my bike....lol

Well...tried it to get me to Rutland meet today....worked fantastic....too loud so will need to turn it down....lol

Now just need to connect it to the electrics so that it will charge as I run.....doddle...

All you doubters.... :booty: :booty: :booty: ...lol

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
so could you run through what youve actually done?

all i see is a strange yellow pipe gaffa taped onto the back of a satnav?

Ok....I bought a cheap stethoscope (£3) and took the head off then attached it over the speaker at the rear of my satnav. I then modified an old headphones set to take a 90deg airtube coupler from a fish tank. I then heated up and rebent one side of the stethoscope earpiece to suit my ear.

I put it all together and presto one satnav system that feeds the voice striaght into my ear inside my helmet.

I am currently working on a way to make a trumpet that will fit permenently inside the helmet I have.

Hope this explains it?

Any questions let me know...

Very clever, like the idea.

I could probably use something like this with my sense of direction. One question though, where do you guys stick your satnav? Mine has a tendency to fall off my windscreen when in the car, so i feel i need to find somewhere pretty safe to put it on my bike, obviously if it fell off it would be a bit of a problem.