Cam chain tensioner

mealexme

thinking of checking it as I do the maintenance to the bike, especially as a mate had his bike written off when his went. The problem is I dont know how I would know if it had gone. I dont even know what it does. I presume it keeps the tension of the cam chain.

I had a look in the haynes and it says I need to remove the engine to replace the tensioner which I cannot do, but I can get access to the chain (as I am planning on doing maintenance in that area anyway in the next few weeks). Is there a way of checking if the tensioner is on its way out by looking at the chain? ie if it has too much slack, then the tensioner needs replacing.

If you do need to look at the tensioner to know if its gone (which would mean taking the engine out the bike), then does anyone know how much it would cost roughly for a garage to replace it?

'just I got a knocking noise when the engines cold (its fine when warm though). Its always been like that, but I may aswell get it checked out if I can afford it. Anything to avoid any major problems.

me either but its worth checking out if I can, since I'm sort of messing around in that are anyway at the end of the month, so if theres a simple way of checking then I shall :)

also the knocking noise is bugging me now.

there is actually no way to check the tensioner

you would need to pull it off the bike and check how much tension it is producing which isn't easy

you would know if it was buggered because it would rattle like hell and suzuki's arent know for the tensioner to go well not on the bandit anyway the gsxr 600 srad was known for a bit of rattle but they made a replacement to solve it

Are you sure the knocking is not coming from the Clutch cage when it's cold?.....does the noise go away or become quieter when you pull the clutch in? Also bear in mind that the oil needs to circulate....so a lot of engines are noisier when cold until the oil gets around it........also all the clearances inside the engine will be bigger when it is cold and close up when it warms....which reduces any knocking noises...... :wink: So I'd be more worried about an engine knocking when it was warm than when it is cold..... :)

You seriously need to take the engine out to get to the cam chain tensioner?......Most bikes I've known just have 2 bolts holding the tensioner assy in place which can be accessed on the head or barrels of the engine......fiddly sometimes....but never an engine out job!..... :shock:

Camchain tensioner problems normally tend to be a rattle in the engine....not normally a knocking noise..... :wink:

Are you sure the knocking is not coming from the Clutch cage when it's cold?.....does the noise go away or become quieter when you pull the clutch in? Also bear in mind that the oil needs to circulate....so a lot of engines are noisier when cold until the oil gets around it........also all the clearances inside the engine will be bigger when it is cold and close up when it warms....which reduces any knocking noises...... :wink: So I'd be more worried about an engine knocking when it was warm than when it is cold..... :)

You seriously need to take the engine out to get to the cam chain tensioner?......Most bikes I've known just have 2 bolts holding the tensioner assy in place which can be accessed on the head or barrels of the engine......fiddly sometimes....but never an engine out job!..... :shock:

Camchain tensioner problems normally tend to be a rattle in the engine....not normally a knocking noise..... :wink:

cool :) less worried about it being the cam then. But yea, according to haynes you need to pull the engine off the frame, unbolt the halves and get into it, which sounds like a real pain in the ass!

Its more of a knocking noise tbh, and happens in neutral or when the engine is under power.

I just wanna know what it is tbh, even if it is normal, but if its not likely to be the tensioner then great.

Also you can gain access to the cam chain easily, just not the tensioner :/

I'm gunna' be doing the valve clearances this month though, I presume they are going to be out. I only say that because I have all receipts from the previous owner, and none of them mention it being done.

But that reminds me, I need to buy gaskets and a gauge!

. But yea, according to haynes you need to pull the engine off the frame, unbolt the halves and get into it, which sounds like a real pain in the ass!

Also you can gain access to the cam chain easily, just not the tensioner :/

I can understand having to remove the head and barrels to get access to the cam chain slippers......but the spring adjuster is normally accessible without having to strip the engine.......unless it was a chain slipper that caused your mates problem.....but that is normally quite rare..... :shock: The normal thing with the cam chain tensioner is the spring going weak or the plunger jamming which means it doesn't push the slippers properly.....and you end up with too much slack in the cam chain which can then jump a tooth on either cam or the crank and valve timing goes out.....resulting in a loud bang as a piston hits a valve...... :wink:

Also if you are carefull you will not need cam cover gaskets they are rubber, but if you do they are expensive,

make sure the gaskets for the spark plug holes are in place when you lower the cam cover back in place,

you can withdraw the spring and plunger for the tensioner but if there is no slack in the chain when you remove the cam cover I would not worry about it, but if you do decide to have a look at the spring and plunger (they can stick sometimes) make sure the rachet is retracted when you re fit it as it will spring forward when it is in its location if you do not you will cause a lot of damage.

Keith

My bike has been through 2 cam chain tensioners under me :)

Replaced mine last week so I will post up some photos. I had to take off the fuel tank, air filter and its housing, RAM air induction tubes, the throttle bodies and a couple of auxiliaries around the fuel injection unit. And then access was still bloody shit.

It made a rattle at 5000 rpm which i left for nearly a year, then it started to rattle all over the rev range. So I changed it and cleaned things up. Bike feels smoother and more powerful now :thumb:

But unless its rattling leave it alone. It will rattle when warm, cold, all the time, not in just one condition. That rattle could be cold components not fitting just right or lack of oil in some areas. So its probably just the clutch as mine makes noise when its in neutral with the clutch out.