Clutch plates

mattycoops43

Hi peeps.

Got a list of things I need to buy for the FZS600, just routine maintenance bits, but am pretty broke at the moment thanks to the vehicular mayhem recently!

Now the clutch has started to slip. My first reaction was just get friction plates and springs and change it over, but I was just wondering, is it common for springs to go weak etc, but friction plates still be ok, or am I just being hopeful.

As a general rule, if it can be shagged out, it will be on any vehicle I own, so I am expecting to get into it and find the steel plates are worn too! I just don't want to drain the oil just to look and measure, I only recently did an oil change. (yes I used bike oil)

chances of it just being the srings are pretty low matty get a set of plates as yo have got to go that far to do just the srings anyway and change the lot the metal plates dont normally wear that badly but when u pull it apart if they going/gone blue then you might have to change them

You haven't put the wrong oil in Matty?.... :wink: :lol: :lol:

Yeah...I think Steve's right.....if you're gonna pull the clutch cover off you may as well change the springs and the friction plates......but the Steel plates normally dish and cause drag if they are on their way out as Stu found last year......so I'd inspect them while it's apart....but I'd be suprised if they needed replacing unless the clutch starts to drag with the new friction plates in..... :)

Yeah, thanks guys. Looks like I'll get EBC plates and springs. I was looking at the cheapie sets on fleecebay but was told its not worth the bother as they wont last as long. I don't normally use cheap bits for something like that tbh anyway, but it's just struggling to get all the bits I need at the moment, so wanted to know if it was ok to use budget or not.

I know there are some bits you can get away with, but not going to risk it if they'll start slipping soon.

Bike mechanic mate has said to check oil type as it did start just after I did an oil change, and he was a yamaha mechanic for a while, apparently they were told to avoid synthetic as their clutches don't like it (didn't-this was a few years ago now!)((as in a lot of years ago))

I did use bike oil, the right weight, but can't remember exactly what it was as it was on offer in my local car parts place.

The clutch has much less travel from bite point to fully out than it used to have so I am just going to get plates.

If the friction plates are Ok , but the clutch is slipping , it could be warped or dished steel plates. I have recovered steels by surface grinding them flat again, but not too much metal off. We used to make GSX steels thin enough to accept another friction and steel plate, after machining the alloy hub. We also put spacers under the sagged clutch springs with no problems. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I could go on forever about clutches but I wont!!

I would strip it first matty and see what's what but personally I would start with the cheapest first springs, plates then steel plates

I have used EBC friction plates in mine and are spot on

I wouldn't shim the springs as you can run risk of damaging your pressure plate