indicator switch not working.....HELP!!

KD79

Hello you lovely people, I require your expertise advice as the cb500 needs some TLC.

Today, the indicator switch has stopped working. There is no resistance to the switch at all and it moves freely left and right. I hope this is a good enough description of the problem.

I am hoping to fix this myself but need your expertise advice. I do hope its only the switch that's needs fixing and not the electrics as I am not in a financial position to take the bike to a garage.

I do not know where to start so any advice on what to do to fix this issue would be most helpful. Is this something that a complete mechanical noob can attempt as I do not want to make things worse?

Thank you all.

I'd disconnect the battery (for safety's sake) and remove the indicator unit from the handlebar and have a look inside to see if anything is broken.....then see where you go from there...... 8-)

Probably just something that's given up or fallen out of place in the switch, no harm in having a look, take it apart slowly and take photos so you know what goes back where, if anything is out of place or broken it should hopefully be obvious

if it is completely gone a new left hand complete switch housing can be bought off ebay for around £15 and that's a 5 minute replacement job :D

Thank you for the replies - Have got as far removing the seat so far - Too dark now to see clearly to remove battery cover and disconnect battery. Fridays night job is to disconnect battery and then unscrewing and opening up the left hand switch unit. Good idea to take photos to help remember what goes where.

I can do this :twisted:

update - today I have unscrewed the indicator housing and discovered that the switch itself had come loose :shock: - I have tightened the screw and positioned the switch as best I can however iow have right indicator but not left grrrrrrr.

I am not a mechanic but will persevere and hope to get correct postion. The switch was already loose and rolling around inside when I opened it up. Switch does not appear to be broken anywhere - so guess I gotta line it up correctly.

If any one knows how to do this do tell???

I plan to try again on sunday - got relatives round tomoroow. if no success on sunday will try and take piccies.

Nice one mate......congrats on that......nice feeling that isn't it....... 8-)

Most definitely it is Mr T. Thanks for your advice - it really helped :D .