Gearbox on the way out possible change due

christoph93

So after 4 weeks of relatively problem free riding, other than a fuel tap leak, my first major mechanical bike problem. Seems my gearbox is on the way out. it whines in 1st 2nd and very slightly in third now. It clunks aswell even when switched off and just rolling. Sounds as though the gears aren't meshing. I have no problem changing gear whilst riding and it still pulls like normal. However when I downshift coming to a junction or bend, not aggressively at all, it clunks and knocks, sometimes so much so I can feel it as well as hear it. So from that info I'm pretty sure its on its way out, please so correct me if I'm wrong lol would love a simple fix haha but I doubt that. So my main question is how much of a problem is changing a gearbox on a bike? Anything that needs to be done specially? Changed gearboxes on cars and rebuilt car engines but not sure if there are any significant differences with a bike. Any info would be appreciated.

Are you sure it isn't just your chain tension/condition?....... :wink:

Chain seems to be fine. As for the tension seems to be what it says in the handbook.

No similarities whatsoever between car and bike gearboxes. Might as well change the engine or better still the whole bike.

Well financially changing the bike isn't really an option. What's the main difference between them?

What's the main difference between them?

loads. google it. there no way all the differences could be described on here.

trying to diagnose issues like this on a forum is nigh on impossible. you will need someone with experience in bike mechanics to have a listen to your bike.

it well be normal. it could be oil level. or given that its a Chinese it may well be fooked.

What's the main difference between them?

loads. google it. there no way all the differences could be described on here.

trying to diagnose issues like this on a forum is nigh on impossible. you will need someone with experience in bike mechanics to have a listen to your bike.

it well be normal. it could be oil level. or given that its a Chinese it may well be fooked.

Well I only wanted to know what is involved changing a gearbox. Not looking for a solution to fix mine, pretty obvious is f**ked.

if you have no idea about gearboxes then how do you know its f**ked?

it could be a simple rebuild. it might just be a broken cog or worn bearing.

a rebuild could be cheaper than a replacement box/engine.

which is why i suggested having someone look at it for you.

ho hum.

It may also be the clutch......so maybe check that first also...... :wink:

I think it'll be unlikely that you'll get the gear cluster separately for that bike.....so you'd most likely looking at a replacement engine..... :shock:

When you say you've checked the chain to the handbook I'm assuming that you've checked the tension at different parts of the chain as you can get tight spots on them.......if you tension the chain to one of the more loose places then as the tightspots run over the sprockets you can get a clicking noise......and the excess tension can kn*cker the output shaft bearings from the gearbox..... :wink:

Thanks for all the replies. Stripped down the bike and it seems the output shaft was past it, so replaced that with a new one, chain and sprockets and it seems to have sorted it. Happy days, other than being £140 shorter. Thanks again.

OK , so now it's running. Sell it before summat else goes wrong or it dissolves over winter. Buy a Jap bike? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Spoke too soon got a puncture coming home from work and my rear shocks both exploded haha. Even the bloke at the garage was bemused as to how it happened. By the time I'm finished it'll be like I've brought a new bike in parts lol