Riding this winter? Get a Pinlock visor

I second that! Awesome piece of kit yet so simple, mine came with my helmet as standard and it is really useful if you like to know where you're going without freezing your face off and ending up looking like Rudolph.

Fully agree, although I have had a little misting at the top but I re-fitted it when I got home and it was OK. Keep them clean is my advise as if you get anything on the inside, it`s a sod trying to get it off while riding.

yeah I had condensation after I put the visior down as soon as I put my helmet on. but humidity must have been 100% because I could hardly breath at the time. apart from then it's been fine. it's not on properly as I can see one part of the silicone like it is in the diagram but unsure I how to tighten. it works fine as it is.

• 1 month later...

Going to agree, visor misted up wether it was warm or cold, bought one for £22 off race visors, it's fantastic, took 30seconds to fit and now i can breath heavily into it at -1c and it wont mist one bit!

Interested in these, my only concern is the border around the pinlock. whats it like riding with one, can you even see it?

Thats my only problem with the PinLock system - when you're leaning forward on the sports bike, looking out the top of the visor, the top border of the pinlock does obscure the view. its fine on more upright bikes, its just sports bikes that have the problem.

However, they do make a "Race" pinlock that looks like it goes further up the visor.. not tried one though.

But this is a minor problem, I would never ride without pinlock again.

EDIT:

heres a link to a "Race Pinlock" that describes the problem better than me!

http://www.lidsdirect.co.uk/helmets/sho ... sor-8.html

Interested in these, my only concern is the border around the pinlock. whats it like riding with one, can you even see it?

Thats my only problem with the PinLock system - when you're leaning forward on the sports bike, looking out the top of the visor, the top border of the pinlock does obscure the view. its fine on more upright bikes, its just sports bikes that have the problem.

However, they do make a "Race" pinlock that looks like it goes further up the visor.. not tried one though.

But this is a minor problem, I would never ride without pinlock again.

EDIT:

heres a link to a "Race Pinlock" that describes the problem better than me!

http://www.lidsdirect.co.uk/helmets/sho ... sor-8.html

I dont have a problem at all with it

I suppose what comes in to it is the helmet its fitted to and the distance the visor is away from your eyes

if the visor is close your going to see less of the edge

Here's a pic i just found of my helmet being licked by my dog! (no scope for innuendo there!! haha)

you can see there's quite a gap between the top of the Pinlock and the top of the visor, and when im tucked down, giving the bike a thrashing, im looking out the top of the visor, and the pinlock does get in the way.

I feel my helmet touching the race hump on the back of my RST leathers, so no option to raise my head up further, but i normally have the visor open a bit anyway, thus raising the pinlock up out of the way. Its not a big problem, which it why ive not forked out 25quid for the "Race Pinlock"

20121207_201510.jpg

depends if you have a new style visor that fits the max vision pinlocks... my new shoei helmet came with one of these, and it goes so close to the edge of the visor i can hardly notice it at all compared to the pinlock i had in my Arai.

• 1 month later...

I have a small problem with my pinlock visor...

Since my original visor wasn't "pinlock ready" when I purchased the helmet, I bought a new visor + the insert. The pinlock insert was installed and the visor went on the helmet. However, I have the feel that the insert has changed (slightly) the shape of the visor and it does not form a proper seal with the helmet, allowing some wind and noise in. Not a lot, but I can notice it, especially at speed. :bike2:

Did anyone experience the same and found a fix for it?

Apart from that the pinlock stuff is fantastic - it's raining outside but I wait at traffic lights and the visor does not steam up! God bless the guy who invented it!

The visor itself could be a slightly different shape, doesn't take much

You should have a couple of screws on the mounting plate where the visor attaches that you can loosen off and move so the visor makes a proper seal again