YBR 125 - Perfect apart from occasional neutral slip

jarrodstrachan

So I've had my YBR 125 '12 Model for a little over a month now, with 700 miles clocked on it, I bought it used, and have started tarting it up to look new again, hoping to have it looked showroom by the time I come to sell it. Everything's great, apart from, Neutral is very... flaky. Going from first to second, alot of the time it ends up in neutral, I can deal with that, but the main problem I discovered this morning while on a 80 mile round trip on lots of national speed limit roads, the bike slipped into neutral, from FIFTH, twice, without me touching the clutch or the gear lever.

I'm thinking an oil change is needed, as it hasn't had any change since it was purchased by the previous owner over a year ago. I cleaned the spark plug but I'm already planning on buying a new one anyway.

Is my diagnosis correct? Cheers

Any queries just ask

When you say it slips into neutral do you mean a false neutral between 4th & 5th......or the main neutral (between 1st & 2nd)?

False neutrals can be caused by either not enough positive pressure on the gear lever when changing gear......or possibly an incorrectly tensioned chain....which is causing the drive train to snatch a bit......and possibly oil, but not necessarily...... :wink:

Welcome to TMBF by the way.......make your way over to the Newbies and say hello to the gang on here when you can..... 8-)

When you say it slips into neutral do you mean a false neutral between 4th & 5th......or the main neutral (between 1st & 2nd)?

False neutrals can be caused by either not enough positive pressure on the gear lever when changing gear......or possibly an incorrectly tensioned chain....which is causing the drive train to snatch a bit......and possibly oil, but not necessarily...... :wink:

Welcome to TMBF by the way.......make your way over to the Newbies and say hello to the gang on here when you can..... 8-)

Well, I've had two different kinds, I've had a slip where, the neutral light is OFF but the bike isn't in gear, so I knocked it back down to fourth, then back up to fifth, that fixed that.

Another time I was going from third to fourth, and it slipped into neutral WITH the neutral light ON, same remedy, knock it down and back up

LOL....just realised that you've already done the Newbie bit.......DOH..... :lol: :lol:

Anyway.......it may be that you just need to give the gear shift a bit more welly when changing up.......and sometimes pre-loading the lever will help with the upshifts too...... :wink:

My bike will jump down from 2nd to neutral if I haven't engaged 2nd properly usually because I'm trying to do it quickly wearing steel toe cap boots (can't feel the gear shifter).

Hmm I gues that could be the problem, I'm using reinforced toe caps, so I'm relying on the feeling from my ankle rather than the actual gear lever, I'll test tomorrow to see if I'm being a bit tame on the gear changes, but I'm also changing the oil aswell and see if that helps.

Cheers for the help so far guys ;)

So today I spent my time, with my brother in law who knows much more about bikes and working on them than I do, cleaning the bike, wirebrushing the metal parts and spraying it new, and I was telling him about my problem with the gears, and he checked the chain, and said it was waaaay to slack, so he tightneed it up and then I went out and test it, it felt like a different bike, the engine breaking wasn't nearly as severe, I could actually glide a bit while in gear, I liked it alot more. Then while cleaning the nuts and screws, I accidentaly unscrewed the oil cap screw, and lo and behold, a litre of oil fell out, onto the garage floor, jet black. So we went up halfords and got some Castrol Power 10W40 and put that in, and I'm glad to say, everything working perfectly. Feels like a different bike, it even seemed to handle better but I think that's because I feel more confident cornering knowing that it wont slip into neutral mid-corner.

Much happier with it

yea, unfortunately its a known problem with the YBR. oil changes help, but it probably won't fix it completely. There isn't really anything you can do about it so try not to worry about it too much if it happens again