workmen allowed to enter without permission?

Guest petrolhead1989

Hey guys and girls.

Right, basically, me and my partner have just moved into a 2 bedroom house together. Its a rather old house so needs a bit of work doing to it, only simple things.. but since its private rented, its the landlords job..

So the landlord messaged me last night saying that workmen would be here at like 9am today to fit a hand rail up the stairs and box the electric board in, which is obviously fine..

BUT..

8.30 this morning, i was laying in bed, awake but just chilling, suddenly i heard crashing around downstairs and then a rather loud thud on my bedroom door (which is upstairs of course).. I jumped out of bed to see WTF was going on.. To open my bedroom door to two workmen on my stairs, moving wood in to fit hand rail up.. That was obviously what smacked my bedroom door...

Is this legal??

I never heard any knocking from them, Yes my back door was unlocked, but that was due to my partner leaving for work this morning and my mother has planned to pop round.. so left it unlocked so that she can let herself in...

But door locked or not.. and even with landlord confirming that they will be visiting today.... Are they allowed to walk into my home without my permission, while im in bed???

Im asking as im not 100% sure.. as i know landlords are allowed to enter the property to do things like meter readings etc, obviously because they own it.. But not sure if they can give other people permission to enter without my permission.

I tell ya, i am major Pee'd Off today now...

and on top of that.. its now exactly 12, midday, and they still havent finished.. How long does it take to screw a box up around the electrics and fit one little hand rail!!!!!

hey mate,

as far as i know the landlord HAS to give 24hours notice before entering your property not 12 and no as far as i know if the landlord isnt with them they are not allowed to enter on their own accord.

Ahhh thankyou.. VERY big help.. :D

Today ive not only dealt with the lack of privacy with these workmen, But the work they carried out was terrible.

They boxed in my RCD circuit boards, but its huge, and i mean huge.. It blocks your ability to walk straight down the stairs, aswell as the fact that i now have to duck down so that i dont slice my head open on the corners..

Absolutely pee'd off today

That's bang right out of order especially theses days, its enough to give you a heart attack or on the other hand unleash a shot gun! I would be having some serious words with your landlord. Those muppets he sent round need sorting.

I've been a private tenant for nearly 20 years, basically with the same people and NO, they are not allowed to enter without prior notice, your permission or without the landlord. If in doubt go to the CAB but don't rock the boat too much, landlords can get awkward.

I've been a private tenant for nearly 20 years, basically with the same people and NO, they are not allowed to enter without prior notice, your permission or without the landlord. If in doubt go to the CAB but don't rock the boat too much, landlords can get awkward.

yeah especially when my landlord is my next door neighbour?? :D

Not even the police can enter without permission so workmen certainly not allowed!

Think the only people who can enter are firemen.

And customs officers on a VAT mission.

And bailiffs when armed with a court order.

But not landlords or their representatives.

To the OP: Surely the best step now is talk to your landlord and voice your displeasure, and insist that he ensures it never happens again.

In fairness, is it possible the workmen thought you were out? Maybe they even knocked (quietly) and you didn't hear them?

Not even the police can enter without permission so workmen certainly not allowed!

To the OP: Surely the best step now is talk to your landlord and voice your displeasure, and insist that he ensures it never happens again.

In fairness, is it possible the workmen thought you were out? Maybe they even knocked (quietly) and you didn't hear them?

Yeah perhaps they could have.. But what person goes out and leaves their door unlucked? :lol:

Plus my motorbike sitting slap bang on my front garden is a dead giveaway haha

Maybe they thought you left it unlocked knowing they were coming.

TBH, if I knew someone was coming round at 9am, I'd probably be up before 8.30. Particularly if it was only an approximate time.

The work sounds pretty shoddy though and just bargeing in to do a job, even if the door is unlocked, is unacceptable.

I don't know what your relationship is like with your landlord but I'd probably have a quiet word with him, show him the work and see what he thinks of it and mention that their behaviour was rude and embarrassing - could have been your GF getting ready etc.... He's paying them to do the work so they should be doing it properly and with courtesy to the occupants. That would be a better tack than talking about statutory rights of entry etc..... Get him on your side - assertive not aggressive

Yeah perhaps they could have.. But what person goes out and leaves their door unlucked? :lol:

Plus my motorbike sitting slap bang on my front garden is a dead giveaway haha

Firemen can enter if they believe that there is a fire and police can enter only if they believe that there is a crime being committed or someone is in imminent danger ... they would need the landlord to be present for any other reason.

Bailiffs can not force entry even with a warrant! The police HAVE to be there for a bailiff to force entry and then only after confirming that the person on the warrant resides at the premises.

I know this because we have received several bailiffs letter for someone who doesn't and never has lived at our address. The CAB and police both confirmed that even with a warrant they can't force entry!

Do you know how the work men gained entry? Was it through the unlocked back door or did your landlord provide them with a key?

Do you know how the work men gained entry? Was it through the unlocked back door or did your landlord provide them with a key?

it was via the unlocked back door. But for that, they still had to come through my garden, through a closed 6ft gate, in the back door and through another door thats inbetween my kitchen and back porch.. then through my kitchen, into my dining room to go up the stairs..