Few issues after buy...

Nublust

Well I'v spent the last two hours trying to get the dust seal in, the bugger just won't go in. It seems like it's too big, but it's exactly the same size as the one that came out. I get most of it in but it forms a sort of arc, then as I push it in the arc just moves around the seal. It's driving me crazy. I've soaked it in brake fluid as well.

Well I'v spent the last two hours trying to get the dust seal in, the bugger just won't go in. It seems like it's too big, but it's exactly the same size as the one that came out. I get most of it in but it forms a sort of arc, then as I push it in the arc just moves around the seal. It's driving me crazy. I've soaked it in brake fluid as well.

Have you tried putting the seal on the piston a bit further down than where it would sit normally , then inserting the piston into the caliper body? You may find this will help as the inside circumference of the seal will be tensioned over the outside circumference of the piston.

Have you tried putting the seal on the piston a bit further down than where it would sit normally , then inserting the piston into the caliper body? You may find this will help as the inside circumference of the seal will be tensioned over the outside circumference of the piston.

I don't understand this? The seals in calipers are square section and 2-3mm deep. If you put it on the piston it will just slide up the piston as you slide it in.

It may be you have got too much brake fluid on and it is sitting behind the seals pushing them out. they dont need fluid all over, just wipe them dry, try to refit, then wipe the rubber grease or brake fluid onto the exposed surface before sliding pistons in.

ABR wrote "Have you tried putting the seal on the piston a bit further down than where it would sit normally , then inserting the piston into the caliper body? You may find this will help as the inside circumference of the seal will be tensioned over the outside circumference of the piston." ??? If the seal isn't fully bedded into the calliper, you can't push the piston through it!! You certainly can't fit it using that method.!

OP, make sure the grooves in the calliper are perfectly clean, with no dirt or oxide in the bottom of the grooves. The seals are a precise fit and a little bit of crud will stop them seating. You will always get an arc when fitting them, just push the arc in and the seal will be seated properly. Do not refit pistons unless they are perfectly clean, highly polished and smeared with red rubber/caliper grease. If you still struggle, pm yer number and I'll talk you through it.

Well I finally managed to get the seal in, I got a thin headed screwdriver and dug loads of crud out of the groove and then it went in fairly easily.

Next problem is bleeding it. Did it for a while yesterday but couldn't build up any pressure. Tied the lever back overnight but still nothing this morning.

I swear I'm cursed. I might try gingerly riding it with only rear brake to a mechanic that lives near me and see if I've done something wrong.

That's tomorrows job. Going to try and bleed the brake a bit more as well, I've been out for a ride and it seems a little weak. I can't pull the lever right down to the handlebar though so I'm not sure whether or not I'm just used to stronger brakes on a car or something.