Motorcycle Helmet Law

Tango

<t>Should helmets be compulsory for bikers?</t>  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Should helmets be compulsory for bikers?

• Yes
    • No
    • No - but there should be additional insurance required for non use.
    • Other.

Like my mum always says to this very day regarding motorcycling: "It's not you I worry about, it's all the other idiots on the road".

Funny, my mum used to say to me, "It's not the other people on the road I worry about, it's an idiot like you".

In some areas MAG work very closely with local authorities and do achieve useful outcomes, they dont do this by protesting they do it by getting involved.

I have invited the local group to sit around a table and talk about local issues and get no reply just an annual f.o.i. Request for information we already freely share.

They generate hype and promote the feeling that bikers are victimised when that simply isnt true.

Hi-viz. The French had a go no one has ever suggested it will be introduced in the UK the Dft's own study into why drivers dont see bikers found that hi-viz made little or no difference.

Drain covers. Go google the stats highways arent fitting anti slip covers everywhere because slippery surface rates extremely low in the cause of motorcycle crashes.

Hi-viz. The French had a go no one has ever suggested it will be introduced in the UK

'88 Peter Bottomley the then Minister of Transport, wanted to have motorcyclists in reflective clothing, daylight lights and leg protectors (there were a few other things that escape me atm).

It was proven that leg injuries would increase, sort of died a death when it was also proven that the Dft testing was using BMW boxer engined bikes with no internals therefore the testing was nothing like what would happen in a real accident.

I personally think it should be law for helmets and protective clothing alike. I have no time for the flip flop and shorts brigade and no sympathy for their limbs hanging off after an accident, by fault of their own or not!

People say I wish to have the choice, would likely wear one anyway, so why worry about it changing, just continue to ride around with an ice cream tub on your head and suffer the consequence if you come off, doesn't affect anyone else so crack on! No need to over throw the rule as you are likely to do as you wish anyhow!

On a positive note, the sun is shining, I'm off to put my helmet and protective clothing on and take the lovely out! :love:

"'88 Peter Bottomley the then Minister of Transport, wanted to have motorcyclists in reflective clothing, "

Thats 16 years ago!!!!!!

Oh no it isn't ;)

Have been out for a nice ride around MK, on the way back at a crossroads saw a elderly guy zoom across in front of me on his 400cc scooter and no helmet :shock: , maybe he is starting the revolution and saying balls to the state?

Have been out for a nice ride around MK, on the way back at a crossroads saw a elderly guy zoom across in front of me on his 400cc scooter and no helmet :shock: , maybe he is starting the revolution and saying balls to the state?

No shock at all, Fred Hill wasn't exactly a spring chicken when he died in prison. For those who don't know Fred never wore a helmet and refused to pay the fines so had a few stays at Her Majesties pleasure.

The law discriminates against people who are not Sikhs.

There is good reason for this, I was given the reason by a senior Police Officer. I cannot let you know that reason on open forum. :wink: