3 Questions!!!

Guest raabey

I have three questions about my bike! Any help please?

1: Quite difficult to explain: When I press front brakes and "test" the suspension, at a certain point when I'm pushing down, the bike sort of clicks (near the wheel). I've found out that it's the disc shifting the tiniest bit forward from the holder (gold thing) which is causing the bike to make a sound, which doesn't sound "healthy". How can I fix the disc into place?

http://thumbnails111.imagebam.com/31827/b65dfa318267198.jpg

2:An easy one: near the front sproket cover is this knob. What is it? Throttle idle?

http://thumbnails111.imagebam.com/31827/f7a82b318267200.jpg

3: The bike was once shifted upright from it's sidestand and caught a bar next to it and clean broke the front upper fairing. I've tried to superglue it back together but it looks like a mess and I've done a terrible job of it. Should I use an epoxy? Any ideas how to make this look as "crackless" as possible?

http://thumbnails109.imagebam.com/31827/68c3ce318267202.jpg

Thank you so much for your help already! Much appreciated! :)

1 - They are floating discs so are supposed to have a little bit of play.

2 - Yes.

3 - If it's fibreglass, use fibreglass adhesive. If it's plastic, use the stuff plumbers use to "weld" plastic pipes together.

depends how much play there is...if its clunking, or catching on the pads, then its probably time for a replacement or repair ( not saying how i'd fix it... its a bit unorthodox and probably not recommended lol )

forgot what the second question was ..:P

id split that again, clean up all the crap , use fibreglass on the back , or plastic weld it...then if theres a noticeable amount of damage on the outside, use some kind of car filler, lots of grades of sandpaper ( or similar ) then respray/touch up ( or poor mans version... cover it in stickers :D )

For the fairing just buy a sheet of black or white A4 vinyl and a couple of Aprilia stickers then cut a strip of vinyl stick it over the crack and apply the sticker and repeat on the other side so it's equal simples and will cost no more than £5!

Appreciate the help as usual!

I think I'm going to have to separate the fairing again and try again. The superglue simply isn't strong enough.

So with plastic welding, should I use a soldering iron and melt the two parts together, and then sand off the top, then put a sticker over it?

Seems the most logical and cheap to me at the moment.

Appreciate the help as usual!

I think I'm going to have to separate the fairing again and try again. The superglue simply isn't strong enough.

So with plastic welding, should I use a soldering iron and melt the two parts together, and then sand off the top, then put a sticker over it?

Seems the most logical and cheap to me at the moment.

But then again, I could just use an epoxy, sand that over and stick a sticker over it...

Very unsure!

I'm not too sure on the plastic welding side of things but you can buy a fibre glass repair kit for like £10 on eBay that'll be much stronger then just some filler on the front and a sticker ontop.. Or easier way is to find a strong piece of plastic and stick to to the back where the crack is to give it extra strength then the sticker.

iif you're going to plastic weld do it on the back, not the front, yes you can use a soldering iron, but be very gentle ( not tried it myself, and it does look tricky)

id probably go for the fibreglass kit myself

u can get a product called plastex which is used to fills hole, and build up missing damaged plastics

I have used it on small holes in my panniers after drilling a hole for some or other gaget and then removing it and wanting the hole gone. And i have used it on a big hole om my panniers after a argument with a bollard. :-(

And i have used it to fix cracked panels, and replace missing/broken parts. Its a definite must for the tool box.

This is where a learned off it hope it helps (it has pity pictures) ;-)

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/plastex-repair-kit/

You can find it on eBay etc..

Thanks. Might give a variety of things a go, going from most undo-able to least.

P.s. I think my fairing is ABS plastic, not fibreglass, but I'm not too sure. The snapped part just has solid white plastic as the material.