sons first ride.

cockercas

The law, as the saying goes, is an ass.

Just 'cos it's legal, don't make it right.

Personally, I wouldn't take anyone pillion under 13ish.

But I'm maybe too cautious. Or sensible.

Fair play I bet he loved it, I remember going on my dads bike when I was prob about his age. And a guy turned up at wheels in peterborough a couple weeks ago with his lil one and he looked well happy. A lot may think its not right but hey what works for one doesnt work for all. Stay safe pal

we all have to start somewhere... and if the little lad already rides quads, he already knows that falling off hurts so hes probably gonna hang on tighter than some 13 year old who's never ridden...

just take it easy and ride super safe!!

Owen has been coming on the back from a similar age, obviously you ride appropriately. I would not however let him on without being fully covered, young bones are soft, if he fell off for whatever reason at his age in those shoes, he could easily be crippled for life. Especially if the bike fell on him.

Owen has been coming on the back from a similar age, obviously you ride appropriately. I would not however let him on without being fully covered, young bones are soft, if he fell off for whatever reason at his age in those shoes, he could easily be crippled for life. Especially if the bike fell on him.

Tho I'm not saying its right but if you or anyone took a child on the back and came off at speed what they were wearing might not make a difference.

If he did what he said and even tho he need not explain himself the child may have a worse accident falling off a push bike..

I've taken the kids for a little ride round without all the gear knowing it would be a one off admittedly they were a lot older, its quite possible there safer on the back of some riders while clad in swimwear than they would be with others in top level armour ;)

He looks well chuffed in the picture!

Tho I'm not saying its right but if you or anyone took a child on the back and came off at speed what they were wearing might not make a difference.

If he did what he said and even tho he need not explain himself the child may have a worse accident falling off a push bike..

I've taken the kids for a little ride round without all the gear knowing it would be a one off admittedly they were a lot older, its quite possible there safer on the back of some riders while clad in swimwear than they would be with others in top level armour ;)

He looks well chuffed in the picture!

Yep, I know what you mean, but if you fall off a pushbike and it lands on you it wont do much, if your dad drops a superbike on you and it lands on your foot (quite common, it happened to me) I would not want them to be in trainers. You are quite right, high speed it's not going to make much difference, but I would hope none of us would be doing high speed with a small child on the back, I was more thinking of protecting the child from the bike in the case of a low speed drop for whatever reason.

Fair do's, we are all grown ups and can judge our riding skills and what we need to do to be safe. When I got the storm roadworthy, me and owen went up the close and back on it at 10mph both in trainers (I think I was in slippers) but that was about 50m total, I wouldn't go any further without him having gear on.

Personally I see very little wrong with this. His feet touch the pegs and he's mad keen on bikes, let his dad assess the risk and take him out for a little spin.

Thing is, we're all quick to point out others foibles when it comes to parenting, however I dare-say that others judge us all the time.

the only 1 time I've felt the need to intervene was when a 5 year old was steering a BMW convertible while sat unsecured on his dad's lap. The little lad waved at me after I'd given his dad a little grilling as well - which demanded a wave back!

He needs new boots for his quad and he didnt ride with his trouses leg pulled up. Id lifted him off and hesaid he wanted a picture to show his mates .

I wouldnt put him in harms way. If i thorght it was unsafe he wouldnt of been on it.

kids mature/understand differently and parents know their own child more than those who don't even know his first name, and no laws were broken so lets just leave it at that.

Looks like he really enjoyed it, I remember my first ride on a bike, I was little older but not much and had both my mum and her boyfriend sat in front of me, it scared the absolute sh*t out of me! Glad to see the young being influenced to love motorcycles :D

ps, imo this is good parenting, letting them have a bit of fun without wrapping them in cotton wool, good on ya!

when i was 10 years old, i had my own motorbike. I didnt bother with helmet and stuff - just shorts and t-shirt.

Living out in the forest, i used to use it as transport to go see my mates (not on the roads, just cross country).

I'd be gone all day and come back for dinner... No mobile phones - just trust i'd be home safe...

So in comparrison to what i used to get upto, is taking a young lad on the back of a bike really that bad??

Good stuff.

For non bikers, its one of those things that people just do not understand. If they think we are instantly going to be killed while riding to the shops on our motorbikes, then their opinion is unlikely to change if you then decide to put your child on the back. At one of my placement schools there was a child who came to school on the back of a bike.

• 2 weeks later...