Seized sump bolt

Adam

As the title suggests my sump bolt has seized I could not for the life of me get it undone. I stopped in the end because the bolt is starting to show signs of wear and I don't want it to become impossible to remove.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thank youuuu

What can I use to heat it? I just have your run of the mill household items..

It's underneath, and no it's not slipping the socket is getting stuck on the bolt because the edges are losing their shape when I try to turn it.

I've tried hitting the ratchet whilst it's on the bolt but that didn't help either.

you want a proper 6 sided socket on it for starters adam that way it cant round off the bolt head try running engine for 5 mins then carefully see if bolt will loosen off as alloy expands faster than the steel bolt and might mean you can break the seal on it unless last person to service it has bodged it in

I use a set of irwin bolt grips like these for any really stubborn bolts . they bite into the bolt as you loosen it, expensive for what they are but well worth imo

http://www.dieselbike.net/extraction/Bolt%20Grip2.JPG

It's not rounded off as such Steve I'll attach a picture of what I mean, it was the best way to describe it. The socket I've been using is six sided. I'll try that with warming the engine before trying to remove it, but I'm going to order a new sump plug before I (try) remove this one.

image.thumb.jpg.2bf1b5ed31b29e10a0de071b0f8e32f4.jpg

Use a spanner insted. see if you can clamp the spanner onto the bolt. If you cant get a clamp on use a car jack and a bit of wood to trap the spanner on then try hitting the spanner to shock it out.

Failing that if ita rounding get a file and file the bolt head down abit and knock a old socket on there and try a solid bar and not a rachet with a extension on for leaverage.

You shouldnt need the extension as it shouldnt be tat tight.

Were are you?

Personally I would stick to a socket as spanners tend to be 12 point and not 6 plus with the angled head you could end up not putting even pressure on it

If you are using a cheap socket then I would buy a decent one and a nice strong arm breaker bar

I have had to use a strong arm on a couple of sump plugs before and one swift jolt gets them off

As already said run the motor for a while to warm things up a bit

Hi it sounds like its been well over tightened all you need to do is crush up a copper washer for the sump bolt. As already suggested make sure you've got a snug fitting socket and a power bar and just double check your turning it in right direction you might laugh be it been done believe me. If its really stuck apply heat around the bolt not on the bolt itself. Best of luck