Suzuki gs500, completely broken!!

Gus

Hello people!! Basically I get a phoncaall from a mate on Monday morning telling me his bike has blown up, it locked the back wheel doing about 60 with him on it :s

So yesterday I went to have a look, I found it Definately has blown up, I think a valve has got stuck open, or not been shutting fully and has basically hammer it's way through one of the pistons!! It Definately needs a new piston, probably best to get the pair?? And I'd say a new head as it does appear to have some damage, anyways here is a picture of the piston,

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh509/B8zey155/afa73142d10b8e650567a78252f521c8.jpg

What would you guys do??

If it gets re built then well be doing it ourseleves, shouldn't be too difficult as I've done similar things before!! However I was very impressed with how much the piston actually managed to f**k itself!! Lol

It'll need a new piston and cylinder head for sure (including valves)......and a complete strip coz the metal off the piston and the valve have gone somewhere (crankcase, oilways, etc)...... :shock:

Yep....that's what a dropped valve looks like....... :wink:

looking at the state of that I would probably opt for another motor!

thats what a dropped valve will do to an engine....

simpler to just buy a replacement engine.

so you cant drive it for miles then just fit a new valve without removing the head :?

:wink: :wink:

looking at the state of that I would probably opt for another motor!

thats what a dropped valve will do to an engine....

simpler to just buy a replacement engine.

so you cant drive it for miles then just fit a new valve without removing the head :?

:wink: :wink:

I was trying to find that old thread where the lads dad drove home with a dropped valve and fixed it in 10mins..

My friend scourced an engine for now, will probably do something with the old one at some point. We had to drive to the other side of Brighton (I think it was 86 miles each way from Southampton) to collect it. All seems good so far just need to get his exhaust sorted and find a front engine mount bolt as the original is seized beyond belief!!

Here's the engine in my boot (you wouldn't beleive what you can fit in a mk3 fiesta)

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh509/B8zey155/c9a0d1bf2676e3cdb11abe2f6a6288d6.jpg

Engine in the frame which was a pain with only two people and limited space!!

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh509/B8zey155/419f159f9fff4ec06b923c2c2cd4ed40.jpg

Pretty much all together would run if it had some oil in it I hope!!

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh509/B8zey155/464649ceef1a5b4ec7d0d03d402274b2.jpg

Oh my f**king god!

How the f**k!? I thought my pistons came out bad!?

Yours sir was bent and buckled in every which direction :lol:

If you decide to try and fix the old engine, a top tip.

Take off all damaged components like the piston and check the rod to see if it's ok.

Flip the engine upside down, get a big power drill that will spin the motor quickly. Buy a 5 litre tub of cheap motorbike oil and put a large pan with a big sieve under the cylinders that are now upside down.

Using a big funnel pour oil in via the sump plug, after just once of doing this we had major chunks of metal come out of Ricky's engine.

After a few simple times, do it while using the power drill to spin the motor over, it will work out any chunks without doing any big damage. The sieve will catch the metal, and you chuck that away and reuse the oil.

Then if you do reuse the engine an oil change after 3, 10 mile rides will sort you out.

Then change the oil filter and off you pop.

I've used this method on mine and Rickys engine, it just flushes the engine with it together.

You could strip it totally apart but you risk making errors when you put it all back so I find it's better to come up with a solution that requires as little fettling as possible :)