Red wire or black wire first?

Dan

Hey guys,

I bought a fused 12v power socket for the bike which I'm planning on hooking up later.

One question. When it comes to connecting directly to the battery, do I connect the black or red wire first, or does it not matter?

I'm not being lazy, I tried Google but the results were inconclusive.

I was always told red first

in terms of connecting a battery this is true as if you connect the live first and accidentally earth it it wont matter as your earth won't be connected :)

if your not removing the battery terminals then it won't matter just dont earth the live :)

For fitting the socket it makes no difference as without something plugged into the socket it isnt a circuit.

And as long as its not the type that has a light around the socket and you dont plan on leaving something plugged in permanently i wouldnt bother using a relay.

When connecting a battery always the + side first to prevent a short if you touched a metal part of the bike with a screwdriver or spanner.

Thanks guys that's useful. It's all hooked up and working fine.

I don't have the know how for installing a relay so was careful to get one that doesn't have an LED.

Would be nice to have one that comes on and off with the ignition though, it's only a matter of time until I forget to unplug my charger and wake up to a flat battery :lol:

If it's something low powered, don't worry about a relay, just take the live from the brake light switch supply.

It'll only be live with ignition on and will be fused via the bike system.

Hi, be sure to fit an inline fuse as close as possible on the live wire as close as possible to the battery.

It came with one already fitted.

It's this one from Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/UltimateAddons- ... B005HGWGM2

If you scroll down to the questions you will see the one i asked before i bought it. I wanted to know whether or not it drains the battery. Basically as long as it's not left idle for a long period of time with a charger or something with an led plugged in you'll be alright.

When i get a 'proper' bike i might rig up something a bit more flashy but for now on my YBR this is doing the job fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say negative first on account that it is earth, so if you short it to earth/frame etc then no harm no foul. Just put an acceptable IP rated single pole rocker switch inline from live and mount somewhere accessible, heck if you feel a bit crazy, put a kinda fighter pilot flip up cover ROCKET switch in!

Thanks guys that's useful. It's all hooked up and working fine.

I don't have the know how for installing a relay so was careful to get one that doesn't have an LED.

Would be nice to have one that comes on and off with the ignition though, it's only a matter of time until I forget to unplug my charger and wake up to a flat battery :lol:

Installing a relay is very easy and should be done. There are details on this forum showing you how and explaining why (so I won't repeat here) - If needed, I can send you the full details (PM me).

It does not matter wether red or black is connected first.

:cheers: