Wheel alignment - how do you do yours?

Mr Fro

Just curious as I've just done mine.

I used a combo of counting notches, measuring a straight edge and peeking round the rear wheel.

Does anyone have any other method as it took me aaaaages! :-)

Your doing it right, notches are usually correct but measuring is a good back up. Main thing is confidence, doing it the first couple time you keeping checking and rechecking but soon you will trust what you have done and you will get quicker.

I do notches the double check with tape measure from back of swing arm to center of axel tube and a quick peek down the wheel.

Hey,

I always measure the amount of thread protruding from the adjuster with a straight edge. Then just to be sure use a tape measure from the centre of the swing arm to the centre of the rear axle bolt. Worked for the past 14 years :-)

Cheers,

IM

Maybe try this:

Position the bike with its front wheel against a wall and upright (on padock stand).

Place laser spirit level across the back wheel and project the laser line onto the wall.

Do this both sides, and the two lines should be equidistant from the center of the front tyre....

Never tried this myself, but sounds like it should work!

EDIT:

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/show ... -alignment

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=140651&d=1306244911&thumb=1

Maybe try this:

Position the bike with its front wheel against a wall and upright (on padock stand).

Place laser spirit level across the back wheel and project the laser line onto the wall.

Do this both sides, and the two lines should be equidistant from the center of the front tyre....

That is almost exactly my preferred method except I used 2x 2m lengths of "L" shaped aluminium. :-)

I tightened my chain last weekend and checked with the notches and inspection but I must have got it a tad out since my back break has to be pressed a lot harder now. That's now my job for tomorrow! I'll check the notches again but it must be out by a tiny amount...