Carrying luggage.

Hey guy's so the rally will be the first time i'm strapping item's to by bike.

Any advice for a first timer?

I plan to tie my rucksack, tent and sleeping back, i have no rail for top boxes.

I'm armed with 11 bung's and a cargo net, how do you people do this? and any experience of losing luggage? :P

I hear gaffer tape works wonders :lol:

But being serious, a luggage net is a great way to go. That's how I secured all of my camping gear last year and nothing moved even the slightest. Had a couple of bungee cords going across it in an X shape under a lot of tension to stop the weight shifting the slightest.

A couple of bungees is all you need, and some imagination.

In my defence I was expecting a small rectangular box lol. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/10/zataqyra.jpg

I've ordered a givi tank bag (XS306) for the rally.

Planning to bungee the tent to the back and have the sleeping bag in a rucksack.

Just hope the weather holds. Currently we have severe weather warnings across Kent, but so far nothing more than a light breeze..

Well what i was personally thinking was this (not sure if a good idea!)

Rucksack layed down on the back, tent and sleeping bag on top, with my bike cover wrapped around the said items, with the cargo net on top, and strap 11 bungs around it and the grab rails.

pillion footpeg hangers are a good anchor point, and check if your bike has any anchor points under the tail.

as Ollie said....black bag everything , tightly.

make sure the wider items ( probably the tent ) are on the bottom, and anchor everything down to the bike, then pop the cargo net on top

I use those adjustable webbing straps to hold the stuff onto my bike.......but I have the Kriega Tail Pack which has loops that I can put the straps through to secure other stuff to it..... 8-) And I use a Dry Sac for the sleeping bag and roll mat and a few other bits that I can squeeze in..... 8-)

I think you can pick Dry Sacs up fairly cheaply......not as cheap as bin liners admittedly.....but the Dry Sac is more robust......nothing worse than getting somewhere to find your sleeping bag is soggy.... :wink:

i also believe i have another 2 anchor points close to the wheel's, like a round bobbin.

if people are not sure what this is ill take a picture.

Its gonna move up and down with the suspension!!

What have you got in way of luggage hooks or tie down points on the subframe? There should be something where the undertray is

2x hooks under the undertray, will also make use of the grab rail?

Yeah use the hooks and grab rail that is all you need ;-)

If I can do 140 with throw over panniers with only a few straps holding them on I'm sure you will manage...... We did a constant 100 or so for at least 100 miles :lol:

http://gyazo.com/763af066682102497720aaacc3286fe2

too awakward to sit on.

http://gyazo.com/18fb74612170117ee50d4fb443c159c0

Better? just keep rucksack on me? the second one is ALOT more secure

Got a few more ideas but a storm rolled in, yes i have anxiety and thats the problem, i worry too much! :P