Rev counter not moving... whats the issue?

faylogan

My rev counter on my SYM XS 125 K 2009 is not moving when the engine is revved, infact it doesnt move at all. Could someone please help me resolve this issue as im quite new to the bike world and want to get my hands dirty with the bike. is this a big issue or just a little?

Thanks

Fay

welcome to the forum chances are the rev counter is electronic so it could be abad connection somewhere or a broken wire between the clocks and the cdi unit under either the tank or seat,you might do well to find a wiring diagram online you can download to help you in tracing the wire

Hey,

Google suggests an electronic tachometer. However to be sure have a look at the back of the rev counter. Is there a braided looking cable coming out of the back? If so unscrew it from the back of the clock. Inside the braided cable will be a thinner cable. With draw it and look for any breaks.

The times I've had problems with electronic tacocs the battery has been the problem. So firstly give the battery a good charge and check electrolyte.

If electronic theres a good chance of water ingress. Follow the wiring from the clocks back to the next connector. Carefully pull the connector apart and check for corrosion. If there's no corrosion give it a good soak in wd40 and pop the connector back together. Keep tracing the same wiring backwards till you come to the cdi unit.

Cheers.

IM

ok. so the bike currently doesnt have a battery in it, could that be the solution? I have just been starting and running it with the kick.
Hey,

Google suggests an electronic tachometer.

The times I've had problems with electronic tacocs the battery has been the problem. So firstly give the battery a good charge and check electrolyte.

Cheers.

IM

There's your answer!

8-)