Reversed polarity on battery hook up (bad or redeemable?)

newboy

Hi

Some fooka had my bike cover off the other night (Piaggio Xevo 125cc 2010 model) Luckily I had it padlocked on to the bike! Anyhow, it was raining so the bike got a bit wet. I noticed the engine management light was on today and it struggled to start, and after a stop at the shop it wouldn't turn over, although the lights were on.

I phoned the Mrs and tried to jump it from the cars battery to get me home, but in my haste I mistook one of the car battery cells positive screws as the positive terminal marking on said battery.

I only noticed my mistake 10 secs later when the jump lead started to smoke...Argghhh! (20 amp battery circuit blew on motorcycle)

Anyhow I pushed the bike back home and took the bike battery out to charge (multi-meter showed it as having 11volts charge) replaced 20 amp fuse.

I suppose I wont know until tomorrow, but will the reverse polarity charge I did do any damage to the bike battery (even though the fuse blew?)

Thanks for reading

Regards

Paul

Just to clarify, So did you connected nothing to the +ve of the car battery?

And both wires to earth on the car, thus shorting the bike battery??

Hi Joe

No. I connected the jump leads pos+ and neg- to the bike battery pos+ & neg- poles

Then connected the jump leads pos+ and neg- to the wrong poles on the car battery (reversing the polarity) Pos+ to Neg- and Neg- to Pos+

Thanks

You're lucky that one or the other battery didn't explode!

Looks like the fuse saved you, the battery may be ok.

Thanks guys...I'll let you know tomorrow if I get time.

Regards

Paul

You're lucky that one or the other battery didn't explode!

Looks like the fuse saved you, the battery may be ok.

Thanks guys...I'll let you know tomorrow if I get time.

Regards

Paul

Recap...

(Piaggio Xevo 125cc 2010 model uk)

Noticed engine management light on whilst riding.

Stopped turned off ignition.

10 mins later the engine turned over but was struggling to start.

Attached jump leads from bike battery to car battery, but had the poles mixed up...Shit!

(Mistook car battery cell + undo screw as the positive pole + marking)

Bikes 20 amp battery circuit fuse blew.

Replaced and checked all fuses and re-charged battery (Holding 12.06v charge) So think it's ok.

Turned on ignition, engine management light still lit up...But bike is immobilised with 2 flash error code.

--------------------------------

2-FLASH CODE -

Example with programmed control unit, no transponder and/or malfunctioning aerial.

Ignition disabled-Vehicle immobilised

When the 2-flash code is detected, carry out the following checks:- Check if the failure continues after changing key (MASTER key included). If the failure

persists withany key, disconnect the aerial connector from the control unit and check the aerial continuity with the020331Y multimeter.If non-conforming

values are measured, replace the aerial.If no failures are found in the aerial, replace the control unit.

---------------------------------

Haven't done the "disconnect aerial, multimeter process" but...

Inserted red master key for 2 secs after reading below, but still immobilised when using my normal black key.

--------------------------

Virgin circuit (Although it's not a virgin circuit, if it means first time use!)

If the ignition system has not been programmed,the engine can be started but it will run limited to2000 rpm. When trying to accelerate, some evi-dent loss

of power may be felt.Program the system with the MASTER (Red) andSERVICE (Black) keys as follows:- Insert the MASTER key, turn it to "ON" and keepit in

that position for 2 seconds (limit values: 1 ÷3seconds).

----------------------------

This was a stab in the dark to reset the immobiliser to off. It was either that or give it a good thrashing with a large branch and hope it worked.

Question? Is the "SERVICE (Black)" key referring to the normal ignition black key I use each day?

Question? How do you reset the immobiliser if indeed that is an option to test the bike?

Question? Although the red master key isn't working also. Can it still be used like the everyday black key used for starting?

Regards

Paul

Hey,

Did this in the CB500 last week. Popped the main fuse. Replaced fuse and all was good. Not sure about your other problem.

Also did it on the Corsa last year. Who makes the car negative cable red! Again no problems.

Anyone for a jump start?

Im