Starting without puling in clutch (Bandit)

marksmith

Hi folks,

Does anyone know of a reason why Bandits (and possibly others) require you to pull the clutch in to start? The Hondas I've ridden don't, and it's a bit of a pain to be honest, needing both hands free.

I'm contemplating fitting a relay, in parallel with the neutral light, to short the clutch switch - that way when the bike is in neutral it will be as if the clutch were pulled in, and will start with just a press of the button.

Anyone foresee any problems?

Thanks!

-Mark

its just a safety feature on older models so you dont start it in gear and it is also wired in conjunction with the side stand as you will know

on injected models its actually wired in to the ECU and provides a different map with the clutch in and out

As the others have said it's there for safety and not just to make it awkward :scratch: I do wonder how we survived years ago before this OTT gizmo's they decide to put in place for the brain dear people we must be ffs :crybaby: Anyway, go to your original question if you look at your clutch lever on the underside you'll see the tiny plug and socket, I'm not sure if that will get rid if you just unplug or whether you'll have to short it out, if it's just a matter of unplug (or in fact if you have to short it) there might be enough to loop back so it's out of the way (behind the headlight) :salute:

If you unplug the connector it's as if the clutch is always out - i.e. won't start at all. I know this because a few years ago I broke it and had to fiddle around shorting it with a key to get the thing to start - which required all three hands.

I don't want the switch shorted permanently - then it would be possible to start it in gear (when the stand is up) but I can't see much benefit in having to pull the clutch in when the thing is in neutral...

My Triumphs all needed the clutch pulled in to start them.....but it's completely automatic now....I don't even think about it anymore.... 8-)

There's a school of thought that says pulling the clutch in reduces the load on the starter as it's not having to spin the gearbox too.....how much difference that makes I don't know.... :wink:

Yep, natural for me too.

Growing up riding bikes with no electrics meant no neutral light so rather than kick the gears about to check for neutral, I always just pull the clutch.

Same on my KTM - no battery so no neutral light. Safer just to pull the clutch before kicking the starter.

Yes I do it automatically too most of the time. The issue is when I'm holding something (e.g. helmet) which happens surprisingly often.

Load on the starter did cross my mind... but I reckon it's worth it. I'll give it a try when I get a chance.

You should never rely on the neutral indication in case it doesn't work correctly and you go to start it and jumps forward. I've always held the clutch in to start bikes as that was what i was taught when doing my lessons and has just been second nature since.

You should never rely on the neutral indication in case it doesn't work correctly and you go to start it and jumps forward. I've always held the clutch in to start bikes as that was what i was taught when doing my lessons and has just been second nature since.

It's good enough for Hondas. Why not Suzukis?

It's good enough for Hondas. Why not Suzukis?

Maybe Suzuki's are admitting to an underlying issue :wink:

To be honest i't not sure, different brands do different things.

Bonnie - no clutch

Speed Four - clutch - I guess because its EFI

I can't say I have an issue with it either way

I have to put the clutch in on my car too

Not necessarily an EFI thing as I used to have to pull the clutch in on the Trophy too.....which was carbed..... :wink:

As others have said it natural for me also now to pull the clutch in anyway just because it reduces load on the starter circuit. Having had lots of issues with batteries in the past and staring up being the biggest load on a battery I pull the clutch without thinking. I also make sure all lights are off!!