which air compressor?

Tiggie

looking to buy a small compressor for my shed. What would be a good size? Will be used for air-tool use mainly and ideally be semi portable as it would be easier to get it to my bike than the other way around :cheers:

i recently bought a cheap compressor... its noisy as hell and the tank is too small, so its seems to always be starting up to refill the tank.. the noise drives me mad!

My advice - get one with a big tank!!

question

why do you feel the need to get an air compressor and use air tools?

I have a compressor its a bloody big bugger and loads of air tools and the only time it gets put on is to inflate tyres!!

personally I would save your money and spend it on hand tools and buy a small compressor of some sort for tyres!

unless your planning on spraying?

question

why do you feel the need to get an air compressor and use air tools?

unless your planning on spraying?

I asked myself the same question before buying a new one, but I grew up using air tools, so feel strangely at home [strikeout](and manly)[/strikeout] when working with them, but as you say they are not much use when working on bikes unless you're painting!

They are useful to have about, but only if they hold the air and you don't have to wait for them to fill up, in which case they are a nuisance!

I've used mine for blowing dust/water away when cleaning my bikes (not that i clean mine often!), inflating tyres, and i use the impact wrench when swapping wheels on my car from Winter to Summer tyres as its more fun and quicker than using the tyre wrench.

I also used the impact wrench when i changed the brake pads on my Audi as there wasnt a lot of room to get a big breaker bar onto the caliper, and the bolts were bloody tight!

but of course, for the cost of a compressor and impact wrench, you could just buy an electric impact wrench and a small compressor for your tyres ;)

I have a small £20 electric impact gun that has served me well for the last 10 years :shock:

its never failed to undo a bolt

and I have various small compressors the ones that plug in to cig lighters and a foot pump I have never needed more

although if im feeling lazy I just flip the switch on the compressor :lol:

yes I just want to play with air-tools :oops: no specific jobs in mind. You lot seem to be echoing the views of the Wife which wasn't my plan :lol:

That means your wife was... right! :shock:

This being the case, I would get the biggest one I could shoe horn in the garage and tell her it's essential equipment*.

*This may not necessarily be a good idea and may lead to many arguments and use of the phrase "I told you so".

No durable substitute for air tools imo, I luckily have the use of our workshop if I ever want to work on the car or bike. I have recently bought a durite battery impact gun and as handy as it is it's not quite up to the same job as my air gun, and it's bulky, then there is all the other air tools there are, ratchets, air blowers, die grinder ect. One air line and a load of tools. If you feel you can justify having the comp and all the tools that make it worth while then go for it, Sealy have a good range for light use but if it's just to swap some wheels a couple times a year and the occasional stubborn nut then just get a battery gun and have done with it. Buy the biggest you can comfortably fit,

What about the ability to blow out spark plug holes etc and dry the bike off after washing with the nozzle attachment?. That's worth its weight in gold imo.

Can of brake cleaner, a rag and maybe WD40 with use of a finger and a leather shammy will do all that :lol:

...every MAN needs a compressor - even if there inst any real justification for having one...

No, no, no Joeman.

A REAL man would eat a load of beans, jam the hose up his arse and run the tools with fart power*.

*Also good as an ad-hoc blowtorch.

I would use the money to do your test so you get cheaper insurance ;-) ;-) :lol:

our house is up for sale but god knows when it will go so could be in a month or years before we move :oops: , discussed with Wife and we have decided that in January she will have been at her new job for 3 months so financially we will be a hell of a lot better than we have been the last four years on just my wage :shock: and with christmas out of the way I can start my DAS. will get my theory out of the way before then. :cheers: