Hazard Perception TRICK

Fair enough mate. So do you react differently to a potential hazard then you would to a developing one? Or is it something you practised just for the sake of the test?

Yes! Think of the button as a brake lever.

Potential = cover brake.

Developing = use brake.

Works for me, but I'm happy to accept that it seemingly doesn't work for others :wink:

Last time I failed it was because I spotted the hazard before the scoring window, well according the the training CD.

Apparently you can be too perceptive...

Exactly so. When you are driving or riding (including suicidally on a horse) you will clock lots of hazards but not automatically and immediately take avoiding action. What I can't understand is how you can be penalised for indicating that you have spotted something, well before you need to do something about it. The bus or white van pulling up are good examples. of course somebody might step out into the road. Are you supposed to wait till somebody does so before you react? Why isn't that too late? In real life you would already be slowing down, but if you click at that point you get penalised. I really don't get that and it makes the whole idea of the test really scary.

Fair enough mate. So do you react differently to a potential hazard then you would to a developing one? Or is it something you practised just for the sake of the test?

Yes! Think of the button as a brake lever.

Potential = cover brake.

Developing = use brake.

Works for me, but I'm happy to accept that it seemingly doesn't work for others :wink:

Pretty much what I did today, had one video fail (that was my fault klicking at nothing :tumble: but got enough to pass... When I had the hazard developing i basically klicked regularly its there oh its moving h its slow no its not etc etc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have my theory booked for 3 weeks time. I have practised hazard perception on different sites and they don't seem to be standardised but I usually did ok. I have just bought the DSA DVD and am also finding I am clicking just before the marks kick in. I've seen the potential hazard so why am I penalised for seeing it in good time?? Anyhoo- I read on a driving instructors blog to click about 2 seconds after spotting the potential hazard. Tried it and my score went up to about 80% but I keep forgetting to wait- it's instinct to click when you first see it.

Does seem a bit of an odd system but apparently they are constantly updating and moving more towards CGI so they can cut out all the other things that people could perceive as potential hazards.

As a car driver of 30 years plus and many more cycling, I have very good hazard perception on the road- it's a different ball game looking at a screen though. I am really nervous about this aspect of the test. Theory is simple- I never get under 45 correct but that's immaterial if I miss out on the hazard perception.

I opted for a double click type method. Clicked once when I spotted the hazard and then again a second or two later to make sure I clicked inside the window.

Cannot remember my exact score but think I got 64 out of 75. It was much easier than I thought it was going to be.

As an advanced motorist, having completed advanced driving tests in cars and 7.5 tonners, both under blue lights...

(shit rider, but no one's perfect right? lol)

... I feel that the hazard perception test is absolute crap, some of the hazards are a simple reaction test, (Blue lights in the distance) whereas some hazards are developing (cyclist doing a shoulder check) it is a very difficult test to pass just by winging it and really needs a lot of practice until you understand exactly what the test wants from you.. thus not testing your 'hazard perception' but how well you understand their clicking system.

I feel that anyone with enough free time and a computer can probably get to a point where they ace that test 100% almost every time... but It won't help them on the big bad road

I have to agree. I'm just about to buy the practice software for this reason. It's no different to exams at school - you learn to pass exams more than anything. Once you know how the exam system works, you're most of the way there. This seems just like an exercise in learning how the software works. Pathetic!

Are the clips on the test the same as the ones on the official DSA dvd? I'm thinking they are probably not which just worries me a little more!

Are the clips on the test the same as the ones on the official DSA dvd? I'm thinking they are probably not which just worries me a little more!

Did my theory October/November so unless they've introduced or change the system I think this is still valid..

The clips are similar (some not all) as mentioned the shoulder check from a cyclist.. I had a one with a cyclist on the pavement, perform a should check (this is where the system wants me to click) and then for whatever reason come down the kerb into the road and start riding in the road.

As mentioned, don't get used to what's going on in the clip but how and when it wants you to click.. I had practised weeks before (just because.. well I don't even know) and soon discovered that when I was clicking and when it needed to be clicked where to very different things, I changed my mindset and learnt when was to soon and when was to late attempting to hit the sweet spot.

It's not about spotting the hazard at all like mentioned, more a finiky waste of time clicking system timeframe, it's worth watching the clips on the DVD (after attempting them) to see where the scoring system is and how soon or long it lasts for.. per clip.. and then you can judge for the actual test.

............soon discovered that when I was clicking and when it needed to be clicked where to very different things, I changed my mindset...........

This is exactly what I am finding. I'm "passing" most of the tests I do but it's a little too close to the fail mark for comfort.

This is exactly what I am finding. I'm "passing" most of the tests I do but it's a little too close to the fail mark for comfort.

Try a few clips, i'm sure the software allows for a dummy "test" of the entire 10/11 clips.. that will give you the most realistic result as opposed to clip by clip, takes a while though so you might not be tempted to try it more than once an hour.. depends how much you really want to learn it, I got bored trying the whole set.. only did a handful of clips otherwise.

• 4 weeks later...

I think that it is fair to say that this a basic test of your ability to recognise a developing hazard. Of course, you see a pedestrian walking toward a crossing and you want to keep an eye on her but she isn't a hazard yet. When she looks over her shoulder or turn toward the crossing she is telling you 'I AM A POTENTIAL HAZARD'. Now you need to tell the software that you have noticed it. [CLICK]

The system isn't perfect but it's better than what we had before ... nothing!

I took my theory test last week. One thing I will say to anyone due to take it- be prepared to feel a little seasick at the hazard test. It is now almost (if not all) CGI. It just doesn't look right and is very hard to explain why. I thought it was just me but someone else said the same.

Despite that and like someone else said in this thread I found it easier than I thought it would be.