Garage gear that doesn't need power - top tips!

Pete

This thread - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54840 - on getting a 12v power supply to a garage that has no power got me thinking - what genius ways have people come up with to solve problems where power is normally needed?

My ones - I cleaned the bike tonight, gave it a proper degrease with SDoc100 to prep it for ACF-50 treatment tomorrow. Couple of problems, my garage is about 50 metres from the house and getting a hose pipe there is a real chore. Also with the weather like it is (damp) it's tricky to dry the bike after, even with a chamois leather. So...

For a water supply I use a 5ltr garden pressure spray bottle. One of these:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTkxWDczNQ==/z/67sAAMXQeKNTMZsM/$_35.JPG

I fill it up before leaving the house, give the bike a good soaking, then I also use it to put bike shampoo and water in. the pressure is nowhere near a powered pressure washer but is enough to 'atomise' the liquid and get it to places I could never reach with a sponge.

So to dry off afterward, as mentioned in another thread on here I don't have a powered air compressor. I'm not going to run an extension lead to the garage to use my girlfriend's hair dryer, and I can't justify the cost of a dog dryer at the moment. So...

I use the 5ltr garden pressure spray bottle! My BMW GS is great if you like nooks and crannies for water to sit in. Not so great if you don't, so I wanted something to blast the water out. I tried a battery powered air bed inflator but it was just too weak. The garden sprayer is perfect! You can pump it up to near enough 40psi which is great for giving short blasts to blow water out of even the deepest of holes.

What solutions have other people come up with to get around having no power?

I have one of those. For lighting I have a gas camping lamp and some battery powered Christmas lights strung across the ceiling.

Actual genius.

How much light would you say the lantern gives off? Go Outdoors rates the ones they have at 80W, but is it more like a 30W bulb?

Might just have to get myself one! Any risks of carbon monoxide or not really?

I have one of those. For lighting I have a gas camping lamp and some battery powered Christmas lights strung across the ceiling.

Actual genius.

How much light would you say the lantern gives off? Go Outdoors rates the ones they have at 80W, but is it more like a 30W bulb?

Might just have to get myself one! Any risks of carbon monoxide or not really?

I got this one from Go Outdoors

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/campingaz-s ... rn-p102650

I agree with its excellent reviews. I am not sure about CO, but use it in a well vented container, as it the door is open!

well, camping lanterns are used in tents, so I would presume there isn't much chance of carbon monoxide build up in a garage.

Also, I hear it's actually quite hard to kill yourself using the old - sat in a running car in the locked garage - trick. If I remember correctly, you are likely to burn through a full tank of petrol before you pass out.

Don't quote me on that though, and certainly don't try it out of curiosity haha